Facebook Live Reactions Poll

Hi guys,

My first post on this forum is going to be about Facebook Live Reactions Poll. If you payed any attention to 2016 US election on facebook you know what I am talking about.
What you need to accomplish this:

1.a script in order for peoples choice to be taken into account.

2.a streaming software.I recommend OBS Studio,its free and easy to use.

Steps to follow:
1) Create your Facebook Live Reactions Poll.
Head over to https://livereactionspoll.com/
You have a choice of 4 templates (at this moment),create you template and download it to your PC.
The file that will handle the reactions poll is index.html and you can edit it with notepad++.Save the file everytime you will make changes.

2) Generate your Facebook Access Token
If you’re familiar with Facebook API, you must be familiar with the process of creating an app on Facebook. It takes a few minutes and it definitely worth it. Then, you’ll be able to generate your own Access Token and ask for Facebook data.
Follow these 12 simple steps to generate your Access Token. https://smashballoon.com/custom-facebook-feed/access-token/
From my understanding facebook tokens are used to actualy updated the likes people leave on the live video.These acces tokens expire after some time,so always check this.

3) Set your Facebook Live
To go live, we will use the “Publishing Tools” on your Facebook Page.
Log on to your Facebook page and click on Publishing Tools in the top menu. Then click on Videos on the left menu. Then click on the +Live button on the top right.

Then copy the stream key in the modal window that appears:

Important: The Server URL and Stream Key can only be used for a single Live preview/post connection. You must use the same URL and key to preview and post. That is, you cannot preview, stop the stream, and then resume at a later time. The URL and Key also expire 24 hours after creation or 4 hours within the preview.
Click preview and fill in your update text and video information:

4) Configure your Livestream software
Here we go. Your Facebook Live is almost ready and now you need to set the livestream of your dynamic webpage. We will use a free software called OBS to make it happen.

a) Download OBS & install it on your computer.
b) Click Settings in OBS and then click “Stream” in the left menu.
Select “Streaming Services” as the Stream Type and “Facebook Live” as the service.
Paste the stream key you obtained from the previous step (3) into the “Stream Key” box:

Click Apply and OK.

c) Add your source in OBS dashboard. Click on “+” > “Browsersource” > Create new.

d) You’ll see a preview of your webpage. Resize it to make it fullscreen.
Click on “Start Streaming”.

5) Publish your Facebook Live

Go back to the Facebook Live pop-up window in your browser. After a few seconds, it should display “Fetching video stream”. And then after a few more seconds, you’ll see your webpage! Please note, there will be a 5-7 second delay in the stream. This is normal.

Important: Please note that we don’t know your Post ID yet. This is the LAST info we need to finish your index.html configuration. As soon as your post will be published, we’ll be able to get your Post ID and make the real time interactions work!

Publish your Facebook Live by clicking “Go Live“.

Now your video is posted, we can get the Post ID to track all users reactions.
There are many ways to get the ID of a post. The easiest way is to visit your Facebook page, click right on the time link of your post > Copy link. The number displayed in the URL is your post ID. Paste this number in the “index.html” file on line that says “POST ID HERE”.

The post ID you must change everytime you want to go live,its different for every post,so never forget this part.Always SAVE the index.html file after you change something.

Now go back to OBS dashboard. Double click on your source. The source popup will appear. Click OK. It will reload your webpage with recent updates.

6) Make it public

Full credits for the tutorial goes to

Video tutorial
The youtube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K__fqDb-Gsw

Cheers.

5 Likes

Cool, Thank you for the guide, you saved all of us some hours of search before we can find a good script that works. Maybe you can explain in more details since we have some non tech savy users on the forum as well :slight_smile: .

For more infos about the OBS studio please refer to the following thread: [Method] Stream PreRecorded Videos via Facebook Live and get MUCH higher reach

Thats why i posted a youtube video with the tutorial ,created by the owner.I think video is better than words :slight_smile: If people still have questions after watching the video drop a comment!

1 Like

Wow. Amazing post @florin22xxl I was about to search on how to do this. This really helped me a lot.

Please explain what is the benefits of doing this ?

You get more reach to your posts, check how much reach Adnan got when he gave it a try >>> [Method] Stream PreRecorded Videos via Facebook Live and get MUCH higher reach

1 Like

This is the 2016 method and beyond. I keep seeing more and more popping up on my feed.

Some of them left it to stream for days, having a server to do that is a plus. Costly as well, depending on how much more fans you can gain.

But doing this on a low fan base actually doesn’t work very well. Unless you find the right audience and drive shares.

1 Like

I can’t get the access token to work. I click refresh, it still says expired. :frowning:

Also getting this error in the OBS studio, guess it’s because of the expired token. :frowning:

Click on “Get Token” and choose your page.It should give you a new token,then copy the new token.

2 Likes

Thank you, I have tried and it is still expired token. :frowning:

I FINALLY got it (with help of Waqas Ibrahim)!
I had to change the access token to extend expiration.

I forgot the fact that it needs hardware gfx card to stream, and i used a vps which it keeps saying can’t initialize video.

What a bummer, and i thought i can use one to live stream forever. Home connection is OK, but always DC, so it’s very annoying.

Edit: it actually works. need to use 2012 not 2008. But one thing strange is it immediately went into stream mode not sure why. so its eating up 99% of cpu. had to go in and lower everything down to bare minimum.

People have been saying contabo vps can stream.I checked their site and the VPS they offer uses intel Core i7 wich has intel graphics incorporated wich might be the reason why you can stream off of their VPS.Give that a try.
A little edit on the site,a new feature wich adds just a blank counter ,the rest you can add yourself using OBS,making it very customizable.
https://livereactionspoll.com/create-blank-counter
check it out!

1 Like

@florin22xxl thank you for a great post, many people were looking for this as it’s something new.

One thing though, please next time don’t copy-paste all the text and images from somewhere else as that source might come back and complain and I’ll have to delete the post if that happens. And we’ll loose a lot of good replies.

If you have the time(next time ) just re-write it in your own words ( that would be perfect) , if not simply add the link and people will go there and read about it.

1 Like

I did that topic from work,i didin’t had acces to my PC to make a proper topic.I did give credit at the end of the topic,the original topic was free so i think giving credit should be ok.
I do agree with what you said.

1 Like

cool, thanks :slight_smile: it might be ok, true, but some people might not like it so it’s better to be safe.

After having wrestled with amazon vps, i finally switched to my home vps which was running the MP.

Firstly, amazon vps works, but for whatever bizzare reason, OBS decide to go full CPU god mode and eat up all the tiny tiny 1vcpu shared core.

I didn’t wanna push it with a paid VPS until i find this to be worth the ROI. Surprisingly, it doesn’t actually eat up resources if it is run on a local machine. Most likely to do with VPS sharing resources hence the overhead is there. Not even using hardware decoding. And with 480p the CPU is at 20% with average bitrate.

I was thinking of using azure and g cloud, but i’ve had issues with them terminating the vps due to high load. Furthermore i think i over subscribed to their free trial so they kinda know. Lol.

Is possible to put looping gifs in the background (instead of a photo)?

Yes you can,i just tried.You will have to add it in OBS
Add scene-Add Source -Add media - browse for the GIF and set LOOP option so it automaticaly loops for ever.
done.

3 Likes