How To Grow Your IG Account Fast Using Hashtags

I recently had a post make it the Explore page of many non-followers. Prior to this my average likes would be about 1.2k with ~30% engagement. The post that went viral received 6.2k (as of this writing) which is absolutely insane to me.

I used the hashtag method here posted by BrandonBrener. I feel like the method played a large part of making it to the Explore page so I felt compelled to share my experience.

My account is 2 months old with ~4k followers/followings, which convinces me that account age doesnā€™t play a factor, but avg number of likes does (more on that later).

One important thing to note (that might throw everything off) is that my post was for an editing contest. The picture was provided by a pro photographer and I added my personal touches to it (another side note, Iā€™m not good at editing so donā€™t think my pic stood out :joy:). As of this writing there are ~2000 posts. I donā€™t think I received many likes from the other submitters, since I myself didnā€™t want to upvote the competition.

My takeaway (which is essentially what BrandonBrener explains): most of the hashtags should have a ā€˜smallā€™ amount of postings (<100k) but you also need your average number of likes to be the same or more than the posts in the Top section.

This wasnā€™t my hashtag method prior to last week so now I see the difference. For the contest, I purposefully inserted hashtags that had a small number of posts and average likes. I thought I wouldnā€™t get as many likes because my followers wouldnā€™t see it as a ā€˜realā€™ post. I ran out of the ā€˜smallā€™ hashtags and was forced to use ā€˜largeā€™ ones (about 7). Not sure if it matters, but about 98% of the contest participants did not have average number of likes above 1k.

Anyway, long story short, my post took the usual amount of time to get to my average of 1.2k likes. However, instead of tapering off, the likes kept coming and got even more frequent than usual. Comments did not grow at the same rate, but I did read/reply to all of them which made me realize the post was on the Explore page (a non-follower specifically commented she found my post that way). I did not post another pic until 4 days later, which was around the time I noticed drop-off in activity. It was a fun and interesting time to say the least. :laughing:

Iā€™ve only had this one experience, but I am surprised what hashtag research can bring. Youā€™re not always going hit one out of the park, but itā€™s worth the time/effort. I am not a customer of BrandonBerner but I will say his service should demonstrate immediate value because I basically did what he outlined here. At least until IG changes their algorithms :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Happy to see that my hashtag method has worked well for you :slight_smile:

Congratulations on getting 6.2k likes (so far) on your post featured in the explore section.

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for the great post! Your hashtags has helped me a lot in some of my niche accounts which I used between 50-200k hashtags, since they do have good engagement :slight_smile:
I was wondering about new accounts though with no followers or likes. Should I use less popular hashtags under 50k or should I use below 100k? :slight_smile: Thank you

So glad you found my post helpful :smiley:

Absolutely. If you are starting a brand new account, you need to use un-popular hashtags that have Top Posts with around 50-150 likes. Then slowly use hashtags that have pictures in the Top Posts with around 100-200 likes and so on.

1 Like

Great tips @BrandonBerner !

I used 17 less popular hashtags and till 30 hashtags I used popular hashtags

Didnt measured exactly what engament I got from the hashtags but the picture got in 7 Top Less Popular sections ( I think is around 4-5 hours there as it got only 200 likes )
My regular likes are around 170-220/picture at around 2625 fallowers with 1-2 pictures posted/day but didnt got featured in top posts before :slight_smile:
I didnt mentioned that my niche is travel

Because its my first time doing hashtags research I will post them here, maybe you have an opinion over them ( I put the post count too to make it much easy )

2 Likes

Hey @exod Happy to hear you found this topic useful.

Congratulations on getting featured in the Top Post section also :smiley:

After looking at your hashtags, I would recommend using more that are less popular. You are using to many popular hashtags, which you cant get featured under yet, so its basically wasted hashtags. I recommend posting 25 less popular hashtags which receive similar engagement to your posts. Then add 5 more popular hashtags which are a bit more hard to get featured under. As your engagement increases, begin to slowly lower the less popular hashtags, and increase the more popular hashtags.

2 Likes

Started researching more less popular hashtags and keeping count of the time in the most recent posts

This is how I filter them

Keeping those between 40 and 60 minutes ( this is the time of the last image in the most recent posts )

and then filtering them again using https://displaypurposes.com/

After 2 filterings for the hastags I test them and see.

Hope this is the right way to create a research

2 Likes

Thank you very much!
I will start adding small hashtags for my new accounts :smiley:

1 Like

Keep in mind, at different times, there may be a high amount of users posting with a specific hashtags. Although you are recording how long a picture remains in the Most Recent section, it will not be accurate since its based on the time of the day which you checked that. If you wanted to be more accurate, you can check periodically throughout the day for a week. Then add all the numbers, and divide them by the amount of times you checked to get an average.

1 Like

You are more than welcome! Feel free to share your results here after a few days of using small (less popular) hashtags.

1 Like

Will do the check everyday as the top accounts in the most popular section will be my targets too

1 Like

This is not true. I have several posts in the top 9 across multiple hashtags, including re-posts of my photos by others who used my hashtags.

1 Like

I can confirm this :smiley:

1 Like

@BrandonBerner Thatā€™s how you know the research is good!

1 Like

@BrandonBerner I donā€™t know if you sell an e-book, but you should just collate all of your posts and sell it. The Instaposse charges $150 per book, I bet yours would sell betterā€¦

UNLESS YOU ARE INSTAPOSSE

3 Likes

Haha, I am working on something similar to an ebook as we speak, however it will take months to create since Im a perfectionist haha. I also want to include a video tutorial series also which would be included for those visual learners. Instead of an ebook (which would get outdated quick), I wanted to instead create a website which is subscription based (or something along those lines) that I will continue to update on a weekly basis. Adding more content, updating outdated content, and everything else.

I am also writing a ebook for those who have high-functioning autism :smiley:

Hahaha, no I am not Instaposse.

5 Likes

I too have aspergersā€¦

I cant tell if your trolling, or being serious.

If you do, welcome to the elite club of awesomeness!

1 Like

I do not have Aspergers, but I might have a mild case of tourettes. Maybe aspergers, I donā€™t know. I have my particulars for sureā€¦

Oh interesting. Do you have Verbal or Physical tourettes? I used to have physical where my eyes would twitch for hours at a time. Luckily I grew out of around 14 years old.

1 Like