Improving/Fixing mpsocial.com

I’m definitely a novice when it comes to Social Media, SEO, MassPlanner, and just making money online in general, so I’m sure I’ll never be able to contribute much to the forum like some others have here in such a short period of time :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I do know from working as a supervisor / higher level tech for a major Web Hosting company is… Servers/Websites! So thinking maybe I could contribute in other ways :smiley:

Anyways, I made a post on one of my threads already about this, but not sure if you guys seen it. Sorry if you guys already know about it!! But will post it here just incase.

mpsocial.com
www.mpsocial.com

These are TWO different websites!

Now unless I’ve been out of the loop on something over the last couple years, I recall this as not being very good because:

• The two different sites could appear to be using duplicate content to search engines
  • SEO Link juice is being split up between the two sites

Another issue which can arise (which did in the previous thread I was referring to) is confusion caused by cookies.

Someone who read a thread I posted had originally logged in through mpsocial.com, which creates a cookie authenticating you for mpsocial.com. But then he tried clicking a link Adnan had posted which went to www.mpsocial.com, so then the user was suddenly brought to a login screen because they didn’t have any cookies on their browser for www.mpsocial.com.

Personally I’d think it’s a little dangerous too :stuck_out_tongue: People should be cautious when clicking on links and being brought to a login screen because it’s very easy for someone to clone a website login screen to steal usernames/passwords and send them back to mpsocial.

But then if people are used to having to login when clicking links, then it might so much easier for them to be tricked :frowning: Then there’s people who use the same password for EVERYTHING, and some douche out there now has it.

Ok, I’m just rambling now. But if you guys are interested in fixing this, it’s a pretty easy fix by adding an .htaccess file in the root directory with the following content (for Linux)

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mpsocial.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mpsocial.com/$1 [L,R=301,NC]

Should be possible on Windows servers too. Although sometimes you might have to mess with IIS Manager.

So with this code, it will make it so going to mpsocial.com or mpsocial.com/blahblah will automatically redirect www.mpsocial.com or www.mpsocial.com/blahblah, so it will make it so there’s only one website “www.mpsocial.com” and because it’s a 301 redirect, all the SEO link juice from mpsocial.com will be combined over to www.mpsocial.com.

3 Likes

Noted, thanks for the input, appreciate it.

You can actually hook people this way with their browser, but thats another conversation…

Done @samiejg the www version now redirect to the non www version. Thank for caring enough to share your knowledge on this. It was a little trickier as the forum needed a rebuild and was down for a little while but it’s working nicely now and I’ve also update to the latest version since it needed a rebuild.

1 Like