Why I never use generic hashtags

Unless you manage a 1M account with more 100k likes on each picture, it’s completly useless to use generic hashtags like #travel #love #happy #fitness #fashion

It is better to use specific hashtags.

For example, if you post a picture of a tree in Central Park during a sunset.
It is better to use

• tree related hashtags :#treestagram, #treelovers, #treesofinstagram, etc.
  • location related hashtags : #centralpark, #newyork, #made_in_nyc, etc.
  • sunset related hashtags : #sunsetlovers #sunset_vision, etc.

For every picture, you have a lot of possibilities

Of course, choose hashtags that match with your your average number of likes per photo to reach the top 9 :slight_smile:

You will see the difference in term of engagement :grinning:

5 Likes

You are right, for little accounts its not useful to use those generic hashtags. BrandonBerner has written:
“Accounts with little to no engagement should have more Less Popular Hashtags.”

To get more details and other PRO TIPS, please find here some threads about hashtags:

http://mpsocial.com/t/how-to-grow-your-ig-account-fast-using-hashtags/416?source_topic_id=10110 http://mpsocial.com/t/hashtag-emojis/465?source_topic_id=10110
3 Likes

#that #is #the #most #annoying #way #as #well #as #inefficient #way #to #use #hashtags #ever.

5 Likes

Not only for little account. If you have less than 30,000 likes per picture which correspond to a huge account, it is completely useless to use them :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my opinion, there is no correct or incorrect way to use hashtags. There is a wide variety to use them, but some ways are more efficient than others :blush:

1 Like

Strategy also comes into play :smiley:

Example if you are selling skin care products, you dont just want to use #skincare #BeautifulSkin you also want to use hashtags for makeup, fashion, and other hashtags relating to girls since almost every girl is interested in skin care products.

The strategy behind this is the fact your picture will stand out of the crowed since they are being posted under hashtags not specific to your picture, but still targeting the right audience. This is great for accounts of little engagement especially.

As long as you get likes & comments using those hashtags, thats all that really matters :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In my opinion, yeah there are some correct or no correct ways of using hashtags, for example:

• Your account is a local business, but you use world-wise hashtags only. So, you are not targeting your audience. Demographics is important.
  • Using generic hashtags on business accounts: for example, you sell skincare, but you add tags like #love, #instagood, #tbt = maybe, there will be many likes, but perhaps there will be no one really interested in buying skincare products.
  • Using hashtags with an irrelevant number of views.
  • Ignoring hashtag discovery platforms.

etc…

2 Likes

I like to think of hashtags like gambling. The higher the post count, the higher the odds / risk. I invest in a spread of high, medium and low risk tags (not too low though, or the return isn’t worth it). I always favour medium risk, as the risk to reward ratio is the highest.

2 Likes

I like your advice. Medium risk = highest reward!

2 Likes