Creating a private proxy with a VPS?

It’s a good idea to create a private proxy using a VPS? Why a VPS?
VPS have a dedicated IP so you can be sure that you’re the only one using it. It’s around 10$.

Bad side:
IP lookup will show that it’s part of a datacenter

Did you do it? Any advice on how to set this up easily? Or are you just looking for more information on this?

Salut Jonny!
I can setup my own private proxy on a VPS, I’m an IT guy. It won’t be easy if you’re not used to.
There’s no “easy” way to install this but if you know how to use Linux, you can try Google: configure squid proxy server

Anyway, I was thinking about the IP address itself… Could it be flagged since is part of a datacenter(host) IP range and nobody lives in a datacenter?

I think the most it can be is binary, i.e. residential vs. commercial. I don’t think IG can scan each account individually according to exact location, what this location is used for, etc.
Given that there are lots of commercial areas with lots of IG traffic, my guess would be that it’s not gonna be a problem. Yet, this is only an assumption.

I have proxies setup on my VPSs all over the US, Canada, Europe and SE Asia. I doubt IG is doing any automated ASN checks. However, I do spoof the rDNS for each IP as a precautionary measure.

Maybe the spoofing part is what saves you. ASN checks are not hard to do and building a table with all important ranges doesn’t take that long.

Can you provide examples of the domain names to which you spoof the reverse DNS lookups? I would think that custom domain names would draw more attention from IG. That is, the number of people that set up a customer domain name for their residential accounts is a really small subset of all residential internet accounts.

Every single major broadband provider/mobile provider in the US (most likely for other geographical locations according to web server logs I’ve collected over the years) has rDNS for their IP ranges. It’s set by your particular provider. Go to ipv6-test.com on your residential/mobile connection and see for yourself. Use that as a template to spoof. But, then again, I don’t push crap incent offers. I collect email/PNS/SMS leads.

Example:

1 Like