Instagram Profile photo compression

Hey, have any of you encountered some horrible compression artifacts on your profile photos if you’ve changed them recently?

I use Android and I know that uploads used to get really nasty compression issues but it was supposedly fixed in recent updates, around when 1080 became the default size for images. Anyway, I just updated my profile picture and it’s been totally crushed with compression.

I’ve attempted all sorts of tricks with scale, format colors, etc and no matter what I do, Instagram crunches it and it looks like smeared dog poop. Is this something new or am I just unlucky or doing something wrong?

Here’s a portion of a profile image getting wrecked. The original is sharp and clear:

1 Like

I can make you a profile picture,just give me the original and i can make you something new or compress it down for you.

Thanks, appreciate that, but it’s not a problem for me to do it - I’m just wondering if there are specific settings to optimize and prevent them from recompressing, or have they enforced extreme compression lately.

Have the same issue here, is there a way to stop that compression?

Haven’t found a way, I think certain colors tend to look worse. Black or white won’t show much, something with lots of colors tends to hide it, but any gradients or shadows on solid colors will turn into pixelated crap.

Which sucks, if you have a brand that happens to have something similar. Might require modification specifically for Instagram to look decent.