25 Quick Tips To Improve Your Copywriting Skills 🔥

Honestly Guys, the reason that I’m able to live off of shopify is because of my copywriting skills. Here are the rules that I try to follow.

1. Always be direct with the headline. This will make it easier for your audience to know what they can expect from you, and in turn, it builds trust. You give them something they want from the start, and they keep coming back for more.

2. There’s something impactful about a short first sentence. It builds tension, adds a strange sense of authority, but also sets the stage for the detail to follow. If you want to really command attention, this is the way to do it.

3. You know how when you meet someone, one of the quickest ways to form a friendship is to find common ground? Well, the same goes in copywriting. If you can elaborate on their pain, and its consequences, the more you show you know what they’re going through.

4. Analyze how your number one salesperson sells by having them sell to you. Seeing how they do things, what they choose to focus on, will really teach you a thing or two. Then, you can apply those lessons learned yourself.

5. Speaking of being relatable and finding common ground, one of the most credible ways to do that is to share your story. It not only informs the public of the why behind your business idea, but the whole reason why you should be taken seriously. It answers the classic, all-important question of “Why should anyone listen to you?”

6. There are many like you, many brands that sell the same things, products much like yours, stories similar to yours, and so on. But you are you, and there’s something that sets you apart from the rest, regardless of anything else. Find what that is, and use it to prove to the public that you are the most unique and effective solution to their problem.

7. Prove your authority by mentioning your qualifications experience, and any certifications. Dress the part, and post those images of you in action, doing the things you claim to know so much about. For people to believe in you, they need to see concrete proof that you have what it takes.

8. Use customer stories (reviews and testimonials) in your copywriting, ad campaigns, landing pages, email drips, etc. Use them in all of your marketing. This will further drive home that social proof, which is so valuable in this day and age.

9. Speaking of social proof, when an expert in your industry vouches for you, or a celebrity says something positive, highlight it. Let people know. This goes for anything that further gives you a boost, whether it’s being verified on social media, or when you have hundreds, if not thousands, of people endorsing your brand.

10. Prove you’re credible and trustworthy by adding evidence in every piece of copywriting you ever publish. It’s not enough to only sprinkle it in every few posts, because you should always assume that not everything gets read. Everything needs to be proven.

11. Use free trials and test runs to prove your product as well, if applicable. Samples also work, depending on if your product is consumable or not. This way people can try it firsthand, without any strings attached.

12. Don’t just tell people of the problem you’re solving, show them. Demonstrate it if you can, and if it’s not possible, use situations to illustrate the message. Consider using real customers, and creating video content that further demonstrates your solution.

13. Use consistency to get them to say “yes.” When you ask a question within copy and they nod, they’re saying yes. Keep them saying that, and by the end of whatever you’ve written, they’ll be ready to click on that CTA button.

14. Get them to commit mentally, which may seem like a pretty daunting task, but actually isn’t. All it takes is to find the right wording to highlight something they should already know about themselves: that they won’t rest or put up with the problem for longer than they have to, because they will do whatever it takes to improve their lives. Make them see that they are in control, and that it’s their responsibility to take the initiative to change something that needs improvement.

15. Really drive the pain of their issue home, so you can show them exactly how dire their situation is. Get them feeling a high moment of pain where they’re desperate for a solution, and they’ll likely buy yours. Just make sure you always point out that you’ve been in their shoes, you know what it’s like.

16. Use scarcity, such as limited editions and limited time offerings to increase your conversions. People tend to feel an extreme fear of missing out whenever there’s a particularly good sale on the table, especially if it’s limited quantities or time. Use that to your advantage.

17. Add bonuses that liven up your offer and give more value for the money. It might seem like you’re giving too much for the money, but when you provide value, it doesn’t go unnoticed. And moving more product and increasing conversions is never a bad thing.

18. Use multiple price comparisons to show that you have nothing to hide. This covers both price comparisons with competitive products, as well as your own (external and internal). This helps to build trust, while also cutting their research time by quite a large margin.

19. While you’re comparing prices, go ahead and compare value in every sense of the word too. Maybe you sell project management software, and you want to show that even though yours is pricier than a competitor alternative, it’s also well worth the extra money, because it solves problems, and improves quality of life. If yours does something that no one else does, focus on that.

20. Tackle all possible objections upfront, so you can stop your prospects in their tracks when you touch on their concerns. Use copy to explain how your offer works, why it’s better than anything else out there, and why they would greatly benefit from it. Resolve any possible objections, and they’re left with nothing but good reasons to buy from you.

21. Use short, simple, yet strong language to convey your message. Keeping things easy to read helps draw attention to the problem you’re trying to solve, rather than eloquent, flowery language. Plus, it comes off more authoritative, like you’re directly addressing the heart of the matter, rather than using fluff to confuse people.

22. Always include a guarantee. If your product is legitimately good (and it should be), then it shouldn’t even be an issue. If it is, it just incentivizes going back to the drawing board sooner than later.

23. Too many times, entrepreneurs get criticised for just wanting people’s money. So, instead of just taking it and giving them a product, show them exactly what happens just moments after paying. This disarms their fear, gives them insight on what to expect, and why they should be excited.

24. Add an element of surprise toward the end of your copy. Something that hasn’t been hinted at throughout the piece, such as a limited time discount code, or consultation, if applicable. This incentivizes the last few prospects who were still teetering between buying and walking away.

25. Absolutely never muddle your call to action. It should always be crystal clear, direct, and to the point, so there are no mix-ups of any kind. Do this, and people will feel like they know exactly what they’re buying, rather than sitting in confusion.

That’s it for now, but I hope it was helpful!

Did you enjoy the read? What other points would you add to it?

Feel free to let me know below!

24 Likes

Good post mate!

I’d add to be direct enough to arouse curiosity so they read the next line :slight_smile:

Yes! Short sentences are awesome and keep things simple to read.

Also, from Gary Halbert, to record the top salesperson’s calls.

The transcription of the call might be one of the best sales letters you can use… the appeals, the language used by the prospect, the objections, etc.

on your instagram feeds too :slight_smile:

Even go as far as to asking for this soon after you on-board a new client and they see results /OR/ experience ANY happy experiences with you.

They are highly likely and accepting to do a testimonial when they share a quick win with you or share that they are happy.

You can twist this into saying how you are saving them money or turning your services to pay for themselves

Example:
Just like cheap kitchenware will lead ppl to buy it twice in 2 years, instead of one quality one which can last 5. Hence, saving the customer $$ from buying multiple…

^^ Something like that.

–

Anyway, wanted to chime in for a few of your points.

Great tips.

1 Like

I like you, you seem to know your way around copywriting! are you a a dropshipper too?

1 Like

Thanks. Nope! I do consulting. I started reading into copywriting before I started my first business. Very good skill to have.

1 Like

Great Job bro! :clap: this should be read by anyone who wants to improve their skills! :trophy:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: It will be useful for my woman: D and me <3

1 Like

This is great, really appreciated :slight_smile: thank you

1 Like

You’re welcome hope it helps you .

1 Like

Thank you for useful knowledge and insights mate!

1 Like

You’re welcome hope you found it useful.

1 Like

Thank you for this! :pray:

1 Like

Love this! Thank you for sharing, copywrite is gold this day in age

1 Like

Thanks for this helpful tips :wink:

1 Like

You’re welcome hope you found it useful.

Glad I could help.

Enjoy it buddy.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. This is really key. If they can actually see the problem then it is a huge selling point. Excellent work with his post!

1 Like

Exactly. My conversion rates doubled when I added a video of the product in use to my product page.

2 Likes

Great, thanks! Do you use those tips on the product page, or do you also run a blog?

1 Like

Yes Videos tend to work very well, and if you can make a viral video that will more than triple your sales.

1 Like