Advanced ways to eliminate shlicks (junk traffic) from your Campaigns and Audiences and get better ROAs

Advanced ways to eliminate shlicks (junk traffic) from your Campaigns and Audiences and get better ROAs

WARNING: LONG POST BUT WELL WORTH THE READ.

First off, I need to explain what shlicks :poop: means because it’s a term I invented.

• Shlicks :poop: stands for short clicks or sh*t clicks and it means people who bounce for some reason.

• It can be bot traffic, Spam Bots, Budget Draining Bots, it can be because your site didn’t load fast enough for them, it can be clicks by mistake or simply people who didn’t find value on your site and left right away.

• Long story short, you don’t want them clicking on your ads ever again and you don’t want Facebook to look up for more of those.

YOU DON’T WANT TO SPEND ADS BUDGETS ON RE-TARGETING THEM EITHER!

SO HOW DO YOU GET RID OF THEM AND OPTIMIZE FOR TRAFFIC THAT ENAGAGES WITH YOUR CONTENT?

I’ll show you a few ways and we’ll assume a general site, not necessarily E-comm or lead gen.

Noob way :persevere: (still better than nothing):

• The easiest to implement is to delay pixel fire - you can implement this using Google Tag Manager. Basically, what you need to do here is to delay the pixel fire with a couple of seconds. Let’s say 3 seconds. Whoever doesn’t spend at least 3 seconds on your site won’t fire the pixel.

• This method won’t protect only protect your from about 50% of junk traffic and here’s why:

• Some people click then do nothing. They either get a phone call, or phone goes idle, or for whatever reason, they stay idle for a long time and I’ve seen this in my Hotjar more times than I can count. I’ve seen even sessions of 20 minutes with no clicks or scrolls at all.

• I wouldn’t want FB to send me this kind of prospects… and this is why I don’t use the “visitors by time spent (top 25%)” when creating custom audiences. It’s just not relevant (not 100% anyway)

1) :medal_military: Bind button and images - this is more advanced and you’d need to have an in house web dev for it

Basically, whoever clicks on your images to enlarge them or on buttons or fills in forms (type in text inputs), they’re definitely engaged with your content and that’s what you need to tell FB to optimize for (apart from your end goal which is probably purchase).

So bind any key elements on your website to fire events and optimize for those or create lookalikes if you want to.

2):point_up_2: Scroll Amount

whoever scrolls down to a given point is probably more engaged than others. This is also not 100% safe since there are people who load your website, scroll down to the bottom then scroll back up and leave.

Maybe you should couple this with time spent. Example: whoever spends more than 10 seconds and scrolls to bottom of the page is a good prospect.

Be careful with this because there are lots of good prospects who never reach the bottom of your page (they either watch your sales video and decide to buy or read whatever they’re interested in or look at images and make a decision).

Speaking of sales videos, Youtube and others have APIs you can leverage.

3) :100:This is a kickass method of twisting the Pixel’s hand into bringing more quality traffic

Here’s how you do it (again, you’d probably need an in house web dev if you don’t have the skills for it):

You decide which is the key moment in your sales video. Whoever watches past that point is good traffic.

Attention, do not use regular timers here because one may click pause and be reading on your page below the vid and that means they didn’t consume your vid.

Use the API from Youtube (or whatever platform you’re using) to identify the real time they’ve watched your vid. Only then fire the pixel event.

Then create a custom conversion for that specific event and an audience and start sending traffic.

4) :face_with_monocle: STALKING

Yes, that’s right. Stalking. The way you did your ex- back when she broke your heart. LOL.

No but really, you need to stalk your traffic. Install a tool like Hotjar or LuckyOrange and literally watch your sessions.

The reason why I want you to do this is because it will show you what your conversion assists are. The assist is a term people use in soccer (ie. if you pass someone the ball and they score, it’s your assist).

Same here, you need to identify what element on your page or on your site determines a conversion.

Possible scenarios:

• people enter your website, run a search then signup - you could optimise for search in this case. This is something I actually used and worked damn good
    • people may read some info on your website and check out your pricing then buy or leave. You could optimize for the converters and retarget non converters with a different offer (or smaller price)
    • people might check your demo before deciding

… you get the point.

5) :trophy: The Coup d’état - Most Advanced Technique we will talk about today!

This is the most important Micro-Conversion you can do to help you get AMAZING ROAs, get rid of junk from more Custom Audiences, and push traffic correctly down the RIGHT funnel.

• You can create a custom event that will fire every x amount of seconds. This will track traffic on each page and reload when a new page is opened. Together with Hotjar or LuckyOrange, you can see how your actual buyers behave on your website. You can see patterns.

• Then with those patters recognized, you can create custom campaigns to push your traffic down the same Pattern down the Funnel!

• Also your custom audiences created will have MASSIVE value, as close to all of the JUNK TRAFFIC will be eliminated from them!

DON’T JUST BLINDLY APPLY WHATEVER STRATEGY YOU FIND FROM GURU X, TRY UNDERSTANDING YOUR OWN TRAFFIC BECAUSE WHAT WORKS FOR ME MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU AND VICE VERSA. THIS IS HUGELY IMPORTANT.

Those results from below would have NOT been possible if said techniques would’ve not been applied. With this years Facebook Misbehave, we managed to get CONSTANT IRREPROACHABLE RESULTS by standing our ground and forging the correct audiences!

:cupcake: Here’s an Ice Cream for getting to the end of the read. Have a great day on the World Wide Web!

10 Likes

I scrolled to the bottom, took the ice cream, and then just scrolled back to the top LOL

3 Likes

Something to munch on for the read… I like you, rebel.

1 Like

Also, yeah - ask me anything

lol you copied this from someone’s Facebook post that I know…

1 Like

It’s me :smile: hit me up on messenger - I’m curious!