"Are you 21 or older?"

Thought this would be an interesting thing to share, as I’ve never seen this message before. Kind of weird since IG/FB has my bday but maybe they need it for legal reasons. If they need confirmation for legal reasons, this message (if it is new) may be an implication of IG prepping their platform for Shopping on Instagram in more ways than we already know.

Have any of you guys seen this message before? I got it when I clicked an ad in my feed.

1 Like

wow - interesting update. I haven’t seen this yet

1 Like

It’s an age gate.

2 Likes

Similar to booze websites I guess. You can’t view most alcoholic beverage websites without confirming age. I don’t think it’s necessary for social media but who knows.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. Gets me thinking: what are your thoughts on using an age gate on a page to induce exclusivity. Similar to how meme pages go private and require you to request to follow them.

Would be an interesting test to see if you could bait people into following and consuming your content by saying “must be 25+ to check us out”.

2 Likes

I dunno, try it and report back. But I think overall you need to have content that is actually meant for that 21 and up only crowd. And that requires you have an ad account. Not sure if you still need it or not, but am pretty sure.

If you wish to activate age-gating on your own Instagram account, you need to contact your account representative and ask them to enable it on your account.

Note

If you activate the age restriction on your account, Instagram will automatically remove all existing followers of your account who are under-age so you might be experiencing a high follower loss if you do this.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you do this, you have to be careful. I would assume that if you did this and interact with someone’s page who’s under 21, it might not be a good thing.

1 Like

This feature is actually something great for people who are running adult pages for example. They can clearly say if their followers are potential buyers or 90% horny teenies.

2 Likes

this been out for sometime now.

2 Likes

people tend to want things more that are forbidden, i would imagine the age gate would create a higher followback ratio as people would naturally be curious what the content is

2 Likes

I just want bacon and 403 and 404 pages. Does that make me weird?

3 Likes