Can Instagram detect manual scraping?

It lasts 24 hours, but i’m always able to do every action. The block appears, but it doesn’t actually block me from anything. I just get the message everytime i visit a profile. And it’s only on the mobile app.

then never mind them, if they don’t affect your account and actions they why bother? try re-installing the app and see how it goes.

Instagram does not track/log copying usernames in the browser. It’s safe to use as much as you want.

FYI: when the mouse cursor is on an username, a preview overlay appears. This behavior will be tracked. If you want to copy usernames without the preview overlay:

1. click with the left mouse right next to an username (username [click here])
  2. Hold SHIFT and hit LEFT CURSOR, till the whole username is marked
  3. Hit CTRL + C for copy

It affects the account because before i get hit with the action block i’m always forced to verify my identity through e-mail and change the password.

sorry, I’m very visual… is this what you mean? (see video)

No worries :wink: You almost got it right.

1. Click with the mouse between the last “e” and the verified blue badge (pantone [click here] :white_check_mark: )
  2. From now, don’t move the mouse! Just hold SHIFT key on your keyboard and hit same time the LEFT ARROW on the keyboard as often, till pantone is fully blue marked. SHIFT key needs to be hold and while holding, the LEFT ARROW key needs to be hit multiple times.
  3. CTRL + C to copy the name.

FYI: Instagram tracks only, when an overlay appears. In your example, no overlay will appear when you hit the username with the mouse. At the top of a user’s profile page you can copy the username as much as you want like in your video.

Example for overlay: visit a users profile page, open a post and move the mouse over a username who commented.

Hope it’s understandable, otherwise I’ll take pictures :wink:

But wouldn’t this take a lot of time?

As from our experience when watching Close Friends / Unfollowing - if you go on 400-600 number visits it starts to freeze the new profiles you wish to visit.

Yay, takes a lot of time, but op was just asking, if the method get detected.

2 Likes

Yes. That’s what i’m asking.

Your problem will be rate limits, not manual or automated “detection”.

Yeah, but this problem appears if i follow 20 people or something around that. It’s ridiculous. My account is old. Probably the most i followed in a day was 50 or 60.

yeah, I see which means that there is indeed a block of some kind or at least a verification request, try to give the account a few days of complete rest and see how it goes.

Is there any real evidence that giving an account “a few days” of rest really changes any kind of limite imposed on that account?

As long as you’re copy-pasting, no it won’t detect. It will be an issue though if you constantly keep visitng different profiles within a short span of time.

1 Like

of course there are many test done over the years that resting accounts does give good results and help with the account trust score.

Do you have any evidence that just visiting the profile, without any action, will cause me problems? Lets say you visit 20 profiles in 15 minutes. Why would IG care about that?

manually I have been visiting more than 400 accounts a day never had an issue nor blocks for a very long time so i don’t think there will be an issue there.