Changes to hashtag topposts

I’ve noticed a change in the way top posts work recently. Not sure how recent this is. While they used to be the same top posts for a hashtag across all my accounts they are now all different.

I often use top posts to find content and/or gauge post reach.

Now a lot of hashtags, especially more niche tags top posts are basically a mix or random and posts from people I follow including my own posts.

What is going on and what are you’re thoughts on this?

See attached image for an example.

2 Likes

mmm maybe they are doing that to know which images get more engagement among all those? To decide which one they should show more?

2 Likes

Yes, But it is not based on number of likes like before. I see comments are also not the case.

So perhaps it is impressions as well?

Also the way i shows in the mobile app and mobile browser is not same. So perhaps they check how the likes were made? Using mobile app and browser and show different top 9 section per each medium?

1 Like

I’ve noticed a lot of the top hashtags I use are now displaying pics that I’ve posted from a few days ago, whereas before I’d be lucky to get even one pic in them after the recent changes to engagement. Something is definitely up with them.

2 Likes

It does seem like I am unable to see my own posts in the top 9. However, I am can my post in the hashtag’s recent posts so I am not shadow banned. Maybe Instagram realized it’s pointless to show you your own post in the top 9 popular posts.

They changed it based on what they THINK is relevant to you and it sucks. I see top posts with 9 likes and no comments on tags you needed thousands of likes to be on the top 9 before.

1 Like

So how does it work EXACTLY now?? anybody was able to figure it out yet?

3 Likes