Clean up inactive & ghost followers in 2020

I found a great thread below but it looks very outdated, so wants to create a new thread to see everyone’s opinion on clean up inactive & ghost followers.

https://mpsocial.com/t/my-method-for-removing-ghost-followers/10865

Here are my questions:

1. Have you cleaned up inactive & ghost followers in 2020 & see an increase in your engagement rate?

2. When you block the inactive users (suggested in the thread above), does that mean they disappear from your follower list? As in you will have less followers when you block those inactive users.

3. How to unblock the blocked users? They may not be active now, but I still want to give them a chance to see content later when they become active.

4. When you are doing scraping, did you get your scraping accounts in trouble? I know Instagram is very restricted with the number of API calls you can do daily, I do not want to lose all my scraper accounts testing this.

Many thanks for all your help! :slight_smile:

Yeah they disappear from the followers list, you’ll have less followers. I wouldn’t block them though tbh, just remove them as a follower, like that they can chose to follow you again and engage.

1 Like

have you done that this year and see a difference in your engagement rate?

I haven’t done this for engagement purposes as the issue may not be ghost followers if the algo doesn’t feed them the posts. If I focus anywhere, its making sure the content is good enough to get high enough engagement to spread to the rest of my follower list.

That said, ghosts do exist. So:

This is probably your best bet. People follow first & ask themselves why later before deciding to continue following or unfollow. This gives them a chance to remember who you are & engage this time around.

I remove ghost followers manually without blocking them.
They really hurt your account if you have too many of them (or if someone used bots to follow your account).
The ER rate is going up (obviously) but more importantly, I rank better for hashtags

3 Likes

How many do you think you have removed?