Compress Image Size - How to Abuse Google's Private Image Compression Algorithm

Please post the final version and not a screen shot because the preview is slightly smaller. It looks great though!

Also, as a note I did actually crop mine to 16:9 first which affected the process slightly, so it’s not a true comparison.

If you want the cropped version to try out then go here: https://ibb.co/fd0jbH1

I don’t want anything else :slight_smile: enough for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your image is now a WEBP format image which has better compression. My image is a JPG. Some web building platforms such as Webflow don’t support WEBP images. So that’s what makes this particular method useful.

But thanks for sharing that app as your result is fantastic and very clear. Very useful as well!

As a side note I will say that using Squoosh wasn’t immediately obvious to me in terms of all of its functions - and it seems that it took your particular expertise in photo editing to get the right parameters set, whereas uploading to YouTube might be more accessible to non-industry professionals who aren’t used to complex photo parameters. :slight_smile:

No, I changed to jpg.
fi

Yeah I got your point :wink: it’s very good to exchage ideas because in this community we have members with many different skills :wink: Have a good one.

1 Like

Thanks, IG!

Any chance you could share that final JPG with us? I’m really interested to compare as I might just learn how to use that Squoosh app properly.

In any case - I know that you’re all about the testing, so that’s why I suggested it. :wink:

That’s really helpful. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

It’s a clever idea, and quite original. If you’re doing a lot of images then a more streamlined approach I use is “ImageOptim” - free to download, and it has a bunch of options for tweaking the level of compression. This is perfect for a photographer or blogger. And it can be teamed up with Lightroom - upon export of an image, open it in ImageOptim and every outputted image is automatically compressed. Easy.
JPEG compression is fast, a solid PNG compression takes a bit more time.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the recommendation @jb1! Keen to try it out.

Yes tiny png is quite helpful tool.

1 Like