GIF sticker blurs the IG story

When I put a gif sticker in instagram story, it reduces the image quality and blurs the remaining portion. Is it just me facing this issue? What is the solution? (I am using android)

image quality does drop after inserting a gif because the gif adds a second layer to the photo which reduces the background pixels.

2 Likes

Not for everyone though.
I have seen many accounts which do NOT have reduced quality.
I also talked to one account owner, she said, she too had the same issue but later it automatically resolved.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this on any of my own stories. Maybe I’ve just not noticed it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If you could get a screenshot that would be great.

Is it only on stories in create mode? Or shared posts as well?

A thought: Have you ever noticed how slowly the gifs load in the search function when creating the story? Maybe IG reduces the quality a bit to keep things quick for users.

1 Like

Yes, if you could share a screenshot with us it would be nice.

1 Like

that’s not entirely accurate; what the app is doing is taking the gif and the image and turning it into a little video file before posting it. If you have an older phone or are not on wifi, those could be two reasons the video is lower quality.

2 Likes

I internet speed and device is not a cause of the issue. I also happen to come across someone who DID have this issue but later it automatic got resolved.

Nevertheless, please check the screenshots I’m about to share here!

Please check the main question. I have edited it putting screenshots

Please check the main question. I have edited it putting screenshots…

Adding a GIF converts the original image into a Video of a duration equal to the play length of the GIF… Video resolution will always be lower than Image resolution…

1 Like

And, my observation is the bigger you scale the GIF (or if it is large to begin with) lower will be the final quality of the Video created…

Thanks very much. There’s a definite drop in quality there!

My guess is that it’s a mix of what @imaginaryuser said

and this

If adding the gif turns the story into a video, IG might downgrade the quality just slightly to prioritise speed and user experience; stories need to load incredibly quickly and the lowest common denominator is the limiting factor. In this case, that’s people with crappy phones or poor connections!

If that’s the case, there’s nothing that we can do about it :expressionless:

You mentioned other people resolving the issue. Could it be your internet speed/phone processing power?

Just found these two Reddit threads that discuss it as well. Might be worth a look?