Hashtag Guide for Noobs

Recently I’ve been venturing into one of Instagram’s most important functions for account growth: hashtags. Because this community has given me so much, I just wanted to go ahead and share some hashtag tips for you guys.

Finding Hashtags:
When finding initial hashtags for a new account, there are a number of services that will help you get a list of hashtags related to your niche (ex: displaypurposes, allhashtags, jarvee, instagram). I would recommend to accrue about 50-100 hashtags related to your niche.

Organizing Hashtags:
Get the post count, average likes, and average comments for each hashtag and put them on an excel sheet. Create a new column that adds the average likes and average comments and do the same for your account. Separate the hashtags that have a value that is lower than your account’s from the hashtags that are higher. Now when you include hashtags in your post, input a mix of the low and high ranked hashtags with the majority of them being the lower ranked ones. With the lower ranked ones, you will have a greater chance at ranking your post when people search for that specific hashtag.

General Noob Tips:

• do not use the same hashtags over and over or you will get “shadowbanned”
  • vary your hashtag amount (25-30 hashtags per post)
  • instagram does not punish your account for having the max amount of hashtags (the more the “better”)
  • find a perfect balance in which your hashtags have a higher engagement than the top post and the post count is high for that hashtag
  • likes/comments (esp. from your own followers) during the first hour after posting are a huge influence on your ranking of your post
  • searches for hashtags on instagram is different for every user
  • 10 Smaller Hashtags (10,000 to 50,000 total posts)
  • 10 Mid-size Hashtags (50,000 to 200,000 total posts)
  • 10 Large Hashtags (200,000 - 2,000,000 total posts)

I’m still fairly new to the game, so feel free to criticize or improve upon my current method for hashtags. Thanks guys!

19 Likes

Nice starter guide! :smiley:

1 Like

i think one important thing is post image quality,beautiful image with good hashtag to post on instagram,like and comment will increase,and instagram auto push your post.

2 Likes

Yes content can literally carry your account, plus geotags are always a bonus.

1 Like

Nice guide, thanks.

Hashtags is something I need to improve on so this really helpful.

Do you use a tool to randomise the hashtags you use or pick from them manually?

1 Like

I use the dynamic hashtags option in Jarvee.

3 Likes

How do you get the average likes and comments?
Great thread!

2 Likes

I personally use Jarvee to scrape the data

1 Like