Recently I’ve been venturing into one of Instagram’s most important functions for account growth: hashtags. Because this community has given me so much, I just wanted to go ahead and share some hashtag tips for you guys.
When finding initial hashtags for a new account, there are a number of services that will help you get a list of hashtags related to your niche (ex: displaypurposes, allhashtags, jarvee, instagram). I would recommend to accrue about 50-100 hashtags related to your niche.
Get the post count, average likes, and average comments for each hashtag and put them on an excel sheet. Create a new column that adds the average likes and average comments and do the same for your account. Separate the hashtags that have a value that is lower than your account’s from the hashtags that are higher. Now when you include hashtags in your post, input a mix of the low and high ranked hashtags with the majority of them being the lower ranked ones. With the lower ranked ones, you will have a greater chance at ranking your post when people search for that specific hashtag.
General Noob Tips:
- do not use the same hashtags over and over or you will get “shadowbanned”
- vary your hashtag amount (25-30 hashtags per post)
- instagram does not punish your account for having the max amount of hashtags (the more the “better”)
- find a perfect balance in which your hashtags have a higher engagement than the top post and the post count is high for that hashtag
- likes/comments (esp. from your own followers) during the first hour after posting are a huge influence on your ranking of your post
- searches for hashtags on instagram is different for every user
- 10 Smaller Hashtags (10,000 to 50,000 total posts)
- 10 Mid-size Hashtags (50,000 to 200,000 total posts)
- 10 Large Hashtags (200,000 - 2,000,000 total posts)
I’m still fairly new to the game, so feel free to criticize or improve upon my current method for hashtags. Thanks guys!