Hashtag policy change with Instagram?

I received this from a client the other day, what do you guys think? Is it best now to use only 5 hashtags per Instagram post? I haven’t seen any evidence yet but apparently it’s some “insider info:”

“Hey guys, I’m at Vidcon right now and I’lve learned two important things about Instagram that I would like to implement ASAP: 1) we should have at most 5 hash tags per photo, and 2) the hashtags should be unique from photo to photo. Apparently reusing hashtags and loading up hashtags can cause the photos to get penalized. So let’s think carefully which topical hashtags need to be applied to each post”

1 Like

No, this is clickbait that keeps getting repeated everywhere. It has no basis in reality.

5 Likes

A link would be helpful for us to determine it’s legitimacy. Sounds like bs to me without verifying this “insider info”.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m trying to find whether it’s legitimate or not, that’s why I posted here.

Apparently Vidcon is like a big live event.

I don’t even know if hashtags are still useful …

and your client is bullshitting you btw.

1 Like

Exactly.if they pay you to grow them etc, then they have no idea what they are doing in the first place.

Edit: I hate autocorrect

5 Likes

You mean “NEW ALGO UPDATE FOR HASHTAGS 06/2018 SIGNUP TO MY NEWSLETTER OR YOUR IG ACCOUNT WILL DIE WITHIN 1 MONTH” kind of thing?

11 Likes

There are tidbits of truth here though. You shouldn’t use the same hashtags for every photo.

You should never hashtag stuff. Don’t put #moscow #bejing #fluffy on a pic of a hairless cat taken in a US city just to get exposure from those tags. Keep them relevant.

But not kidding, if your client is telling you what they want and is misinformed then there are real problems.

3 Likes

I’ve used 5 hashtags for my posts on my main account (7k) for a while, but since last week I switched to ±25 hashtags per post. If what you’ve said is true, that means my engagement would’ve tanked.

This is not the case and I think the opposite is true. You’re better off with a lot of different hashtags in high volumes, but well rotated so you have different hashtags for every posts which won’t repeat for a week. This will not only broaden your reach with customers, Instagram’ll like you more because of active behavior (not using the same hashtags 24/7)

But, like I said, I’ve only been using high volume hashtags for just a week, so take it with a grain of salt.

I do have to plug @MojoJojo for incredible hashtag research. I’ve grown a good bit when I switched over to his hashtags.

4 Likes

There is so much conflicting information out there. SIGH!

A few things we know are true with Hashtags are

1. No more than 30

2. Using banned or unique (new) hashtags can get you shadow banned and reduce exposure

These ones below are preference

1. Put in comment OR

2. Put in photo

3. Use 10, 19, 5, 0, 1.

The only way to truly know for sure is TEST. Then you can confidently say and see what works for your account.

6 Likes

That’s a new one! I stick to 30 and don’t see an increase in engagement when I lower the hashtags. I did hear an interesting analogy that has kind of stuck with me and that is looking at hashtags like lottery tickets. They are each a chance for someone to find your content through an interest - so if someone offered you 30 tickets why would you take just 5?

1 Like

Most of the travel accounts I see that have massive engagement and followings use 20-30 every time, some doing exactly what you’re supposedly not supposed to do, like use the same ones and use things like #nationalgeographic and #lonelyplanet even though you have nothing to do with either. So I’d vote for b.s. too, based on observance and personal experience.

People still use hashtags? Yikes :open_mouth::open_mouth:.

People still use Instagram? Yikes :wink:

When are you going to give up the crusade against hashtags? :wink:

4 Likes

They are fun to pick on …and little bastards can’t cook ether :cry:

2 Likes

I have heard this from influencers who have visited IG headquarters. They say that your post visibility is limited when you use more than 5 hashtags. Of course I need to test this myself.

No offense to you personally, but this above means JACK SH%$.

Different niches, different account sized, different tags, etc - everything plays a major role.

The Rock can make up hashtags on every single post and will never get banned for it. You and I try to create one and see what happens.

Blanket generalizations are just harmful.

3 Likes

I heard that if you post cat or dog pictures, you immediately become an influencer. Zuck told me himself when I snuck into the FB bathroom while he was pooping and forced him to answer me.

4 Likes

You heard wrong

I’m confused on your response. As stated the information comes from Instagram staff. We all have personal opinions on the matter. I’m only interested in testing the information I have heard. If you have a problem, take it up with the Instagram staff that’s spreading the info.