How to pick hashtags?

I browsed threads and couldn’t seem to find a solid answer so I thought it would be useful to just throw my question out there.

I recently read about having less popular hashtags and around five popular: (25:5) However when looking at what hashtags to use I get a bit confused.

Im an account that averages 1,600 likes and around 13 comments per picture to play it safe. I get around 100 likes within the first 10 minutes.

So I was looking at a hashtag that has min 15 max 104 comments and min 800 max 4000 likes

Would I consider this a popular hashtag or an unpopular one for me? Would a popular hashtag be catagorized as anything above my average likes?

I was looking at another with 100 min and 1400 max likes. Would I even bother using this one?

Any help would be appreciated. If that is directing me to another thread that I may have missed by all means do. Thanks in advance.

From my experience, it depends on several factors. I specifically deal in the photography niche and even from color to b&w, both in the landscape/nature category, hashtags change dramatically. When I started doing heavy research on b&w hashtags, they were generally pulling half of what the hashtags I was using on my color account was pulling. As for numbers, I tend to look at the range of likes/comments in the top posts and see if my average-peak likes/comments meets the low end of that. If I meet the low end, I will use it. That way, I’m more likely to hit the Top Posts for that tag, netting me more engagement, which could put me in trending sections, and gives me a bit of longevity with those tags (given I’m at the low end of their numbers). There typically aren’t a lot of these or they could be difficult to find, so if I have room, I’ll supplement my list with some bigger tags, but never the biggest; no need to put my work under the Photography tag when it’s probably flooded with thousands of posts a second.

With that being said, it also depends on what your goal is with hashtags. I recently changed my b&w photo account to specifically target hashtags from magazines and curated accounts, in hopes to get features and partnerships with them. Sure, hashtags are about growth and engagement, but there are multiple ways to make that happen. My color account uses them to get all those juicy likes/comments, even if they’re “fake”; whereas my b&w account is using them to join a community and form business relationships.

The last thing to take into account is the new Follow Hashtag feature. If you get solidified in a smaller tag and are constantly posting numbers in it, anyone that follows that tag will see your stuff. Just depends on if it’s worth it for you to post under less active hashtags or not.

2 Likes

I was wondering how the hashtag strategies would change after IG allowed people to start following hashtags. Any other tips?

I mean, Google “hashtag strategy 2018” and every single blog on the internet will tell you to use no more than 14 hashtags, I’ve even seen some say you should limit it to 7. However, I’m still seeing PLENTY of accounts cramming in the 60 per post limit. I think it all just depends on your account and what you feel is best. Personally, I think the best options always involve community engagement, so partnering with a curated hashtag or getting featured by the account that uses that tag is going to be your best bet. If you’re not to that level, then just cram however many hashtags you’re comfortable with. Different niches have different obstacles to maneuver.

If you follow hashtag, you can see in your feed pictures sponsored by ig , so ,when another account post a picture with the same hashtag you follow before, you will see it !! So if you do right things , instragram help you to make you visible with hashtag where you can’t Enter in.

The only thing that worries me about that is the size of the hashtag. If they’re getting thousands of submissions a minute or even per hour, how do they parse through that? Do only the posts with the most engagement get through? If so, are you in that upper echelon for that hashtag? If you ARE being shown literally everything posted, then what are the chances they see your image? I think this will push more content creators to use lesser known hashtags, maybe even create their own. Preferably, I would like to see the Tumblr model be implemented, where they appoint curators for each established hashtag, but I honestly don’t see that happening.

The limit has almost always been 30, not 60 :slight_smile:

You can cram 100s of hashtags, IG will stick pick 30 (before banning your account for trying to spam)

2 Likes

Unless it recently changed, you can do 30 in the caption and 30 in a comment. I never did it, so I never kept up with whether that changed or not. As far as I can remember, people were still doing it a month or two ago.

IG never took more than 30, no matter how many you cram in there.

1 Like

Ive done that before. Mojo probably knows a lot more than I do but 60 hashtags doesn’t do much for you. The deal is youd have to post the #s in the comments then edit and add more. Editing screws with your posts so, it basically resets your likes to zero. The time it takes to throw #s in the comments and go back to edit to add more, you’d probably lose a somewhat significant amount of engagement, no matter if it works or not.

Ok, let’s me put it like this - you CAN do this. BUT, it does not work.

IG will do one of the following in 99% of the cases:

1. Pick your first 30 and disregard the rest

2. Pick random 30, disregard the rest

3. Take none and limit your reach - if you do this on a consistent basis.

It has been tested and re-tested and people have never been able to actually make use of more than 30 hashtags. At least not in the last 1 year.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying it does, just that I recommend not doing it :slight_smile:

Your previous post gave the impression that it is possible, but not worth the trouble.

I’m saying it is not possible at all :slight_smile:

2 Likes