I want to develop approved Instagram repost app (looking for suggestions)

I’m looking to develop an “official” Instagram repost app, meaning using Instagram’s official API. It will function the same way as other repost apps but with a middle custom element where a user can pull additional information from our database to include in the post. Example:

1. Copy post link on Instagram
  2. Open Repost app and paste post into the app
  3. Edit post
  4. Get additional content suggestions to include in the post (pulled from our database)
  5. Post on Instagram

All current repost apps work the same way where the exception with us is just step 4.
Does anyone have experience in how easy it is to develop such a repost app?
How difficult is it to get approval from Instagram to use their official API?
Would it perhaps be easier to approach an existing repost app company and license out their code? I assume there will also be consistent updating required on the API changes, so this might make more sense.

There is so much wealth of information in this community that I’m hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Any info or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

1 Like

Reposting is again IG TOS, copyrights, etc.
Please remove Official as I don’t think that you work for FB :slight_smile: and so far is the only able to develop an official app :slight_smile:

I recommend you to start here: https://www.instagram.com/developer/

Your topic is more related to a development forum not to this site :wink:

Appreciate the answer but I think you’re misunderstanding my question. You can scrape posts with a bunch of different tools not through the official API that probably operate in the grey-area of what isn’t endorsed by Instagram but also not actively shut down. Then, you have approved apps (in the App store) that allow copying of content for the purpose of reposting. The most famous ones being Repost App, Regram, Regrann, etc. It’s not actually against the TOS to do this. It’s just a grey area of asking for permission which most people don’t do but with giving credit to the “original” poster, pretty much everyone has accepted this by now. Needless to say, I have been part of this community for many years and know that some users have specific experience with exactly this and I respect their opinion a bit more than just going on BHW or Upwork because I’m not looking for someone to come out and say “I can do this for $X” but instead am asking for opinions, based on their own experience, of what might be the best approach for this. Only after that I would actually go to a developer forum (although I’m sure some people here can also do it).

I’d say it might be worth a look at how later.com is allowing searches for “viral” or rather “User Generated Content” within their software.

They allow reposting but do it in a diplomatic way I guess

Isn’t later.com specifically for scheduling posts (might only work with business accounts, I forgot)? I don’t actually care about that. I’m really just looking for a manual app where you go through the motions of copying a post, editing it, then supplementing it, and posting it (manually) on Instagram.

I mention them because they have a section dedicated for reposting which you might be interested in to inspire yourself.

Yes they do all of this. Except the manual posting. The closest thing they have is the scheduled posts (which pushes the post instead of auto-publish)

You are wrong in many areas, but too long to explain it here, that ppl develop apps that are against FB TOS is not new, this forum is full of things against TOS, mostly all what we do is.
But maybe I was not clear you are not developing an official app!! your title is misleading.

Note: ALL App marketplaces won’t check what your app does in regards of other companies, will check only if you don’t violate their rules, I’m developing apps for many years.

Here you are totally wrong…

You may not use the Service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose. You agree to comply with all laws, rules and regulations (for example, federal, state, local and provincial) applicable to your use of the Service and your Content (defined below), including but not limited to, copyright laws.

And:

Share only photos and videos that you’ve taken or have the right to share.

As always, you own the content you post on Instagram. Remember to post authentic content, and don’t post anything you’ve copied or collected from the Internet that you don’t have the right to post.

1 Like

I appreciate you taking the time to dig this detailed information up. That being said, Instagram’s TOS state a lot of things that are there to protect the company from getting sued. The reality often looks different. Either way, I didn’t come here to ask about the “legality” of the app. There are dozens of repost apps that have been around for years. Yes, you’re supposed to post only your own content but there was also a statistic (can’t find it anymore), which showed that more than 50% of Instagram’s content is reposted content. If Instagram was so much against it, I’m sure they would have gone after the very famous repost apps many years ago. Anyway, my question here isn’t around the legality (I’ll leave that up to the lawyers), just asking around for feedback on the actual process, suitable approach.

Will take a look at the details. Thanks!