Is Discourse worth it?

Hello Massplanner lovers,

I see that you are using discourse for MPsocial platform. I was taking a look to their plans, and they start as 100$ a month. Im from the age of PHPBB & VBulletin forums so i was thinking about the monthly cost of Discourse.

Is it really that good? I mean, it looks fantastic, but i think that a good theme on a Phpbb or SMF could make the same job, for free?

Greetings!

Discourse is actually open source and free. You can download all the files and install them yourself if you know your way around linux.

The price that you quoted is only if you want to run it on their servers. We’re not running it there, but on digitalocean which is $20/month .

You’ll also need an account that handles the emails from mailgun or a couple of other providers they recommend. Depending on which you choose first 5000-15000 email will be free each month.

It’s a little different that phpbb and vbulleting, you’ll need a little linux knowledge, but I’m starting to like it more and more, a lot of well though features and it’s more oriented on creating a community unlike the regular old forum platforms.

5 Likes

the platform is great… really easy to get around and everything can be found easily and it’s all logical and user friendly no matter if it’s newbie or advanced user… So thumbs up for discourse

1 Like

You mean thumbs up for Mass Planner :joy: Just kidding, we are really glad everyone likes the forum.

That goes without saying :smiley: Double thumbs up for Massplanner and you guys on the MP Team as well… Great support overall and it’s really a pleasure when it comes to getting support for MP. Never had even a smallest issue or a problem that wasn’t resolved in a heartbeat. So i can only wish you guys to continue doing great work, like you did so far.

1 Like

@100jan We have the best clients around the globe and they shouldn’t get anything less than what you just described :heart_eyes:

1 Like