Promoted post and lost engagement

Hi Micky, it seems like Iā€™m still there. At least for the less competitive ones.

First for a 10k # and a 15k
top 9 if the hashtag has below 20k.

For hashtags 50, 100k or above I stil find my old posts but not my new ones.

Whatā€™s happening?

Well I did suspect this. Now a lot of your previous likes would have come from the hashtags, but if you say your newer post are not showing for hashtags 50, 100K and above this could be an explanation. Perhaps you are shadowed or there is something going on with those hashtags.

The less competitive ones are not the ones bringing you the engagement you are used to witness.

Can you please explain this to me? What happens when youā€™re shadowed? And why would I still show for the less competitive hashtags?

Iā€™m not sure about this.
In the past the majority of the Likes I got were from my followers (like 70/80%).

Now I have almost double the amount of followers but I get less Likes than before.

Ok, Iā€™ll give you numbers:

Before 1600+ Followers, used to get at least 250/300 Likes from my followers.
Now 2900+ Followers I get 150/200 Likes from my followers.

Isnā€™t that weird?

Moreover, I have promoted a few posts in the past and Iā€™ve always got a ton of Likes. I did a test yesterday promoting an old post that got a lot of likes when I posted it, and out of 2840 impressions only got 44 Likes.

Lastly when I had 1600 Followers I used to get 200+ Likes from my followers in the very first hour.

Now with almost double the amount of followers Iā€™m like if I even get to 100.

Iā€™m telling you for some crazy reason people are not liking no more.

If you are interested we can have a look at the numbers comparing promos. Money spent vs Like received.

It seems you just got bad new followers. IG tests your post with some people and only if you get enough engagement (especially comments) it unlocks more reach. IG prefers showing your posts to your NEW FOLLOWER. So if your new followers dont interact enough your reach goes down drastically.

Hi Kripke, thanks for getting back to me.

Thatā€™s what I believe. But they are all real followers coming from Instagram, not some shady software or follow/unfollow. Never done any of those things.

Iā€™ve just promoted a normal post I had on my page.

Is there a solution?

IG also can give you really bad followers. Does not mean they are good because you earned them the legal way - sadly. I would try getting rid of them. They give you higher follower number but destroy your reach.

One other thing what could have happened. Itā€™s a myth but you can read it quite often. That instagram is shutting down your reach when you stop promotion because they want you to promote more. But itā€™s hard to proof and there is no proof thatā€™s why i write myth. But would also explain what happened with your account.

Or 3rd option: Someone bought fake followers for you while you had your promo running. maybe an angry competitor who saw your promoted post or something similar.

1 Like

I donā€™t think number 3 is the case, they are real.

Option 2, mmm not too sure.

Number 1 is in my opinion the most likely. You see I got more than 1000 followers in a few short days. Who could think that a great promo could turn out to be so negative?!

Is there any software that analyzes who donā€™t like or comment my posts?

Or do you have any other idea on how to know who I should remove?

It will be very hard to guess what it can be the cause.

Here are some options.

1. Shadowed profile
  2. Banned hashtags (search google)
  3. Fake followers( These can look very real if high quality )
  4. Not engaging followers which results in less reach.
  5. Less attractive content
  6. Did you post outside hours your followers engage mostly?

No. Not at all weard, this is seen quite often. Do as stated above get rid of none engaging followers as they kille your ER.

What are you using to promote? And how? Maybe the source that was promoting you was giving fake like and followers? Now that IG is more strict and the cost of fake engagement is doubled, this is what you get? These are all theories.

Are you posting constantly? Not posting constantly and not being active regurlarly kills engagement.

As mentioned above IG shows your posts to bits of your followers and if they engage enough, IG will show to further followers, if the first group doesnā€™t engage your engagement on that specific post will die.

Hope these tips can help you find the root of your issue

1 Like

Only number 4 is possible out of those.
Quality of the posts is the same and Iā€™m still posting at the same time.
Iā€™m sure those are not fake followers.
I honestly should look more into the banned hashtags, but I donā€™t think Iā€™m using any of them.
Also, my profile isnā€™t shadowed (I think) I was still able to rank n14 for a 1M+ Hashtag.

I just promoted a post through the IG app. I meanā€¦isnā€™t that supposed to be the safest option?

I post every day. It can happen that I skip 1 day a week. Iā€™m also very active, reply to every comment or dm I get.

Can you please recommend me a tool or something (even a strategy to do so manually) to help me identify who those not engaging followers are?

You are gonna be surprized if you knew how much I have seen users complain about IG ads or facebook ads for promotion. :no_mouth:

Jarvee can help you on this one. Finding none active users and blocking them for you. [quote=ā€œJai, post:20, topic:78846ā€]
Only number 4 is possible out of those.
Quality of the posts is the same and Iā€™m still posting at the same time.
[/quote]

Are you reposting content without changing meta data before posting?

You might wanna read this useful guide:

It looks like the reach-around followers remain the same whatā€™s lost is reach on hashtag and others. Is it the case for all those who did paid promotion at a time and notice your natural reach/engagement decline afterwards?

If yes the conclusion might be for viral accounts donā€™t pay to promote?

2 Likes

am sorry to tell you that and i hope i am wrong!! but i think you have been shadow-banned man.
@Jai

Nope, Iā€™m creating my own content.

Would Jarvee be able to just identify those users? I would like to remove them manually instead of blocking them.

Is there a way to find out for sure?

I donā€™t know enough about it, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case.

As far as my understanding goes if I was indeed shadow-banned my post wouldnā€™t come up on hashtags. Am I mistaken here?

1 Like

Not sure I understood correctly, but the posts I showed you the data for have never been promoted.

The decline in engagement happened after I got about 1000 followers running a promo.
It wasnā€™t the first promo I did, but this time I immediately noticed something strange, people were following me without even liking the post, which never happened before.

In the past I would get 4 Likes and out of those people who liked the post 1 would become a follower.

This time I would get 10 followers and out of those, only 1 would like the post.

So, Iā€™ve got a lot of new followers that for some weird reason just donā€™t Like posts.

And probably that is killing my engagement.

How do you figure that?

My account is the same situation. Iā€™ve never promoted any post yet but my reach is so low as I notice vast majority of the organic followers I receive only follow and seldomly like. Overtime my reach gets lower and lower - my last two posts only reached 4% of my total followers. Since the reach is so low amongst my own followers thereā€™s no way I can make it to explore or even hashtags, so at this point Iā€™m actually somewhat considering the ads. Anyone with similar experience has tested ads - can ads still lower reach and engagement on a worse account?

yes you wont come up on ## and the % of your audience that can see your posts will go low and it leads to low reach/engagement. try to pause for 2-3 days and just start with 1 post a day, and build up.

hope you didnā€™t get shadow banned, cuz when i got it i stuck in it for 2 months, it was brutal man

Did your engagement go down or it has always been low?

Cindy, I have run a few ads so far.

In the past Iā€™ve had great results, my followers count went up and so did the engagement.

One piece of advice I could give you is to monitor the new followers you get with the promo and if you notice (after letā€™s say 100 new followers) that they are not liking the post, stop the ad immediately, and consider removing the followers who didnā€™t like the post.

my engagement has definitely gone down over time but itā€™s from organically grown followers. I just notice most followers naturally I receive, donā€™t like. I can not be removing all my followersā€¦