When someone comments “How do I do this?” or “Can you send details?”, are you treating that as a public-content signal or a private-conversation signal?
Test two reply paths on comparable Reels. In the first, answer the question directly in the comment with one useful step and a clear reason to visit the profile for the fuller resource. In the second, reply briefly: “I can send the example—DM me the word GUIDE.” Keep the underlying offer and wording as similar as possible so the routing choice is what changes.
For example, a Reel about product photography might receive: “What light are you using?” The public route could be: “Window light from the side, then a white card opposite it. The full setup is in the profile guide.” The DM route could be: “I have a simple setup diagram—DM ‘LIGHT’ and I’ll send it.”
Raw comment volume is not the decision signal here. Compare qualified profile visits after the public answer against DMs started and follow-up questions after the DM invitation. The stronger route is the one that moves the right viewer closer to their next need, whether that is learning more, asking about fit, or starting a sales conversation.
Which comment types earn a public answer in your workflow, and which ones do you prefer to route into DMs?