Selling product on amazon vs own website

Hello!

Completely new to selling products via IG. Can I get your thoughts on what is the most economical way to start up?

I have 1 product, two colors. It’s not owned by me but I don’t see anyone selling it on an international scale. I live where it’s produced, personally fulfilling orders.

Should I sell on amazon (it’s a new product so I will need the professional account $39.99/month)

Or

Create a Shopify or wix site and drive traffic there from Instagram?

My first thought is to use amazon as it’s much simpler to start. But:
Placing a bit.ly on Instagram and have it direct to an amazon page, does it look unprofessional?

Shopify, winx
More work to start up + potentially higher fees
No potential exposure beyond Instagram

What would you do?

:pray:t2: opinions would be great thank you

2 Likes

I would go with amazon unless you have the money for a spam operation. You’d need hundreds of accounts, proxies, emails etc to pull it off on only Instagram.

Then you really need to learn how to spam and just simply using bitly isn’t going to work for you.

3 Likes

Apart from what @wortime mentioned, another reason why I would choose amazon is simply because of the trust factor that you have on Amazon. If it’s a new product/company, people will be more willing to buy it from Amazon than from a random website.

List it on Amazon, get a few close friends/relatives to buy it and then review it 5* (or you can buy fake reviews). That should get the ball rolling. Optimize your listing for all the closest keywords. Send traffic to Amazon from your insta and keep creating new, interesting content on what your product does.

Once you get sales, then you can think about selling from your own website. You might have to spend on all or some of the following: website theme/design, server, bandwidth, domain name, payment gateway, SSL, CDN, proxies for your fake accounts, software for automating accounts, etc etc.

I don’t know about where you live, but in my country, there are a lot of sellers on Amazon who help people like you who don’t want to pay the fee to sell. They sell the product for you and take a commission - that way, you pay only if you get sales. They might even handle the listing optimization, imagery, etc for you! You can sign a 3-4 month contract with them to explore how Amazon is working out for you and then take a decision down the line.

EDIT: Also have to mention that there are also a lot of low quality cheaters who offer the service above in my country. Don’t know how it is for you, but make sure to check their sellers ratings on Amazon and feedback to see if it’s all real or fake and whether you can trust them or not.

EDIT 2: Oh, and also, it would be good to create a one page website listing your product features and redirecting people to buy it on Amazon. You can use something like Wix to do it for free, or pay a small amount to remove Wix ads and connect a domain (you get this free with a premium plan). Make sure your product name on amazon exactly matches the title on your website. That way, in case someone finds the product on Amazon and googles it, they will at least find some info on it. And when you do decide to sell it on your own, you can just convert your Wix pan to an ecomm plan and start selling within less than 1-2 hours!

3 Likes

Amazon is a better option to start of with, but once you have the necessary resources, I would try to start your own site. You never want to rely 100% on a platform you can’t control