Wrong Device Location

will be interesting to see where this goes, but I think it’s very weird that this is what is currently being shown.

Many companies have their private database providers, I wish they would use ip2location or maxmind, db-ip. But sadly they don’t.

I noticed that taking 1 ip which I purchased and running it through various ip location checking websites, namely the big ones like ip2location and db-ip it shows different location even though the proxy is being sold from for example UK.

even if both of those websites ‘verify’ the location, sometimes just opening google/amazon you’ll see a different language (indicating different country location) which shows they have their own databases.

The issue here is that many proxies are ‘masked’ and sold as X location when in reality they’re in Y location which is masked. I noticed some proxy providers go as far as funnel it through 3+ places so it’s possible to buy a proxy from UK on a website like proxy6, then see ip2location say it’s in CA and google shows native language/region as Russian.

So for the OP - I would test your proxy through as many sources as possible, especially the ones I mentioned. But don’t stop there. Go to facebook without cookies and see native language, do the same for google and amazon (shows postcode and country) and see if all shows correctly.

1 Like

I can tell that that happened to me on Vultr and InceptionHosting, and other hosting companies, specially when buying UK servers, it was never showing UK on IG… I got nuts with it to find a way to make UK proxies that showed UK as geolocation. I don’t think proxy provides try to tunnel and mask the subnets, is more a problem of un-updated databases and routing.
Also once I got a Kentucky server, no proxy on it and Google was showing me the text in Arab, and detecting geo as Dubai…

1 Like

YES

The user agent has nothing to with the location.

Totally agree, but this case is still weird…only when JV logins IG screams different location…

I appreciate all comments and ideas, so far doesn’t affect the account or automation in any way, just my client is a bit annoyed of getting the messages but we will set up a rule in her email client.

Thanks!!

1 Like

Can you explain that? I am always willing to learn something new :wink:

1 Like

Another idea :thinking:
DNS related, Google DNS is also the same Mountain View, CA location :man_shrugging:t2:
https://db-ip.com/8.8.8.8

1 Like

Sorry, but that makes 0-sense. Any IP belonging to Google will show up in Mountain View, CA because surprise, that is where Googles HQ is located :roll_eyes:

Very inefficiently it seems. That’s why ExpressVPN has an Antarctica server (located in the US)

Interesting, so you would blame the outdated databases rather than masked subnets? Either way its bad for what we need it for :smiley:

Edit: I register gmails and use a lot of proxies for all sorts of projects and this is a common thing, very often google has a variety of weird languages same for other big websites.

1 Like

Yes, databases is the biggest issue here :slight_smile:
and the problem is that there are many different databases, and god knows which one is being used, or if they even own their own database… Would be great if there was an official one and force every company to use that haha

1 Like

true, but that will never happen sadly as they don’t want to expose what they use to prevent us from finding a workaround… :confused: