10+ Years of YouTube Marketing Experience: Ask Me Anything

Yes, it will take a while for views to start rolling in. However, if you do the right things and are patient, you can achieve success on YouTube.

Ultimately, making sure your videos follow YouTube search engine optimization (SEO) best practices so YouTube’s robots can understand the subject matter of your videos should be your main focus. A big mistake podcasts make on YouTube is they optimize their videos around their brand/podcast name- which nobody knows. How you you get views if nobody is searching for your brand/podcast name? So, make sure your podcast videos are topical. Meaning, you have a central topic that you can optimize each video around. For example, “How to Make Money with Real Estate Investing” would be a central topic, even though you talk about more than just real estate investing. This way, YouTube can actually have an idea of who might like your videos based on viewer history and behaviour.

Along with good video SEO and keyword selection, having good thumbnails is important as well. It would be a good idea to establish some characteristics for all your thumbnails for branding purposes, but make sure they are eye-catching and enticing. Meaning, if you can, show the faces of people in the thumbnails making an expression(s). Also, use bright colours while maintaining a professional look (purple and lime green are bright but they’re a little too bright and not very professional looking when mixed).

Aside from these two things, consistency, upload frequency, and off-site promotion via social media will be other things that can help with seeing more growth.

2 Likes

great reply thank you!

1 Like

Hi, Any tips on how to grow an identical channel like this:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn87J7gSR5lZjPh5s614Q-g
From nothing?

I have the content but I am not sure what the best way to compete is with the big channels who do exactly the same?
I don’t mind spending a bit but I am not sure what to spend it on.
Any tips?

Channel like this really are quite straightforward. Making sure you’re following best practices (good YouTube video SEO, good thumbnails, consistency, etc) but focus extra on maximizing click-through rate (CTR) percentages and on getting as high of an average view duration on each video as possible. Ultimately, these channels gain the majority of their views through the suggested videos and browse features sections, but before you can get your videos promoted frequently in these sections, you’ll need to accumulate organic views through search (which is why video SEO cannot be ignored).

1 Like

Got it, Thanks. Will focus on good SEO then.

1 Like

Hello thank you for your questions.
I have a channel in dog niche with english content, i want to know if puting my videos in USA location is good and correct and how can i make a good SEO on my channel ?

Channel location doesn’t really matter to be honest, but sure, why not put your location as the USA.

SEO is done at the video level. Meaning, the process needs to be done for each individual video, as each video is different.

I am from Morocco Africa is it a good to put USA location ?
Please
SEO must done in description or in video itsself ?

I know that SMM panels are anything from very slightly useful under certain circumstances to downright dangerous for Instagram growth. So it’s better to avoid them. How about YouTube, is it the same? Does buying views/comments/likes from specific locations do anything good for a channel?

No, leave your location as Morocco or Africa.

Video SEO is done at the video level by optimizing the title, description, and tags of a video.

Personally, I would advise against purchasing any fake views from a panel in 99% of cases. The reason for this is, purchasing fake views ruins your ability to evaluate data. For example, if you’re trying to figure out the average view duration of a video, but you’ve purchased fake views for the video, how can you determine what the real average view duration is? The real views and the fake views will be impossible to differentiate between.

If you have some money to spend and you want to give your videos a little “push” then I would recommend paying for legitimate ads via Google AdWords. Sure, you won’t get 1000 views for $2 like you would at a panel, but you’ll be getting real views from real people, meaning you’ll be able to look at data and know it’s legitimate. Also, AdWords really isn’t actually that expensive- you typically get views for between 3 and 6 cents on average.

The only occasion I would recommend purchasing views from a panel would be for a short-term project- CPA or something along those lines. With short-term projects like this, you don’t really need to evaluate the data because channel growth isn’t a priority- making money through email submits, etc is the priority. For this, you don’t need to actually improve your videos, click-through rate, etc. The goal is to make more money from the offers than you’re spending on the fake views.

2 Likes

How do you explain that most succesfull youtubers pay almost 0 attention to SEO.
By this this aspect alone the main thing to note from youtube is try to do something you enjoy and focus on content, and stop wasting time on SEO.
SEO takes a lot of time and effort ,time and effort that could be used to create more and better content.
Luck also plays a big role in the billions and billions of youtube videos.
Pewdiepiew still streams in 720p 30fps because i guess he mostly doesn’t care,he focuses on content and 0 on SEO/Technical side of things,he never had.
Do you agree with this in any form ?

I’m glad you asked this question…

This is a common misconception about growing a YouTube channel- “This YouTuber with ‘x’ subscribers doesn’t do that and they’re huge, so they must be doing things the right way!”

Here is the truth of the matter:

Big YouTube channels and small YouTube channels grow and get views in completely different ways.

(Read that again 3 times!)

Big YouTube channels have authority. They have accumulated authority and now YouTube’s algorithm promotes their videos in browse features and suggestions on a frequent basis because their videos have proven to receive a positive response from viewers. Small YouTube channels have no authority. So, YouTube’s algorithm barely promotes their videos in browse features and suggestions, as their videos have not been proven to receive a positive response from viewers.

As a small channel, if YouTube’s algorithm is barely promoting your videos in browse features and suggestions (which are the two largest traffic sources) then how can you get views? You position your videos to be promoted in an area that is neglected by big channels and an area that YouTube will promote your videos in- the YouTube search results.

How can you get your videos to get seen in the YouTube search results? Well, it all starts with YouTube SEO. If you don’t take the time to properly optimize your videos, your videos will not be optimized in a way that allows them to rank high in the YouTube search results. So, now you aren’t getting any promotion- none in browse features, suggestions, OR the search results. No promotion = no views.

The more time you spend optimizing videos, the quicker you will become at performing the process. I’ve optimized over 1000 individual videos, so now I can optimize videos that would have at one point taken me 1 hour in 30 minutes.

Along with this, how can you know what better content is without data? Better content is not content that is created with a certain camera or microphone. Better content is content that your target audience resonates and responds positively to. The only way you can get a response is to get your content seen by viewers, which can only be done as a small channel (mostly) through the YouTube search results or through manual promotion on social media, etc.

There is no luck when it comes to YouTube marketing. YouTube’s algorithm doesn’t select videos to promote at random, it selects videos to promote based off of audience/viewer feedback (and other things of course). People appear to get lucky, but they don’t. People who get “lucky” have positioned themselves to achieve success by following the best practices (like I’ve mentioned). An “overnight success” on YouTube isn’t someone who uploads 1 video and blows up. 99% of the overnight successes we’re made aware of have uploaded 100+ videos and followed best practices before their sudden rise to fame (remember what I said above about channel authority and promotion).

Again, big channels and small channels are completely different in the way that they are grown. PewDiePie is NOT a comparable to virtually any channel when it comes to audience growth. He never focuses on SEO or technical things because he doesn’t have to- his channel has the most authority on the platform. Along with this, he started YouTube back in 2009-2010 (if memory serves me correctly). I remember him back then. I remember people I knew turning down collaborations with him. Things were different back then. In fact, YouTube might as well have been a completely different website, as there are almost no similarities between YouTube now and YouTube back then. The algorithm is completely different, the viewers are completely different, the content is completely different, etc. ALSO, he’s been creating content for 10+ years now. 10+ years is a long time- how many people do you know who would be willing to spend 10+ years uploading as many videos as he has in order to be where he is at today? People say they would, but 99.9% of these people would quit YouTube after 6 months because they aren’t getting 1 million views on every video they upload.

Content is important- very important. In fact, there’s more stress being put on the content side of things from YouTube now than there ever has been. This is why average view duration/audience retention is becoming a metric that holds more weight. This is why click-through rate has become a very important metric in the last year or 2. I feel as if I have not personally stressed the importance of publishing good content enough with people. There is a reason for this, but regardless, the importance of publishing good content should be stressed more. With this said, as I have demonstrated, good content isn’t enough.

5 Likes

So how did Big channels got big?
At one point everyone started with 0 views.
At one point everyone was small.

Many big channels do things the wrong way- they brute-force things for years. They upload 600 generic let’s play videos (of whatever else) and after a few years they have some authority built up. Then, they either plateau, die, or grow further.

Ideally, you would approach things in a more strategic manner by posting search-friendly, organic videos so you can slowly gain more channel authority over time. Growing a YouTube channel is all about compounding- views on top of views. For example, if you create 100 search-friendly, organic videos, and each video gets 1 view per day, then you gain 100 views a day or 3000 a month on average ON TOP of the views you gain on new videos.

Many people brute-force things and they limit their ability to benefit from compounding efforts, because their videos are dead in the water after 48 hours because they didn’t create search-friendly, organic videos and they didn’t prioritize video SEO.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

Do you mean 3-6 cents per view? Are we talking US/Canada/UK audiences?

Not my case, I’m looking to start a personal channel with long-term growth as the goal. Eventual monetization is expected, but I’m not starting the channel for the sake of making money. However, I don’t want to be stuck with 100 subscribers for a year, so I’d like to have some legit way to boost growth.

Based on what I heard from you and some other people, here is what seems to propel a channel’s chance of success:

1. SEO - video title, description and tags. Question: how would you start learning the craft of Youtube SEO? Except random searches on the internet. Normally I’d research this forum, but there isn’t much on Youtube topics.
  2. Good content that makes people watch your videos till the end.
  3. Google Adwords as a way to boost growth. Question: What would you say would be an average monthly budget for this sort of campaign if you target the English speaking audience? Let’s say the channel publishes 4 videos/month and wants to get 1000 views from Adwords on each.

Thanks!

Yes, 3-6 cents per individual view in tier-1 countries. Certain niches are cheaper than others as well due to competitiveness. Technically, you could set your max CPV at 1 cent, but you’ll get out-bid frequently- this is why a max CPV of 10 cents is recommended (you’ll rarely spend 10 cents though).

1. Download TubeBuddy and purchase the pro plan so you don’t run into the search limit present with the free version.

2. Use the YouTube search bar in an incognito window to search for different search terms (keywords) relevant to your video.

3. Check the score of each search term (keyword) using TubeBuddy.

4. Include the best keyword (according to TubeBuddy) in your title, description (2-3 times), and your tags, along with variations.

This is the process in a simplified manner. Don’t spam keywords, use them as you would in a normal title or sentence. Take the time to fill out your descriptions with specific and relevant information- 100+ words plus call-to-actions. Big YouTube channels don’t do this, but as I mentioned in a response above, their channels are in a completely different state then yours will be initially.

I would recommend following this process as opposed to looking for tutorials, as most tutorials do more harm than good, as they’re made by people who don’t know what they’re talking about (I’ve had people come to me and ask me to do YouTube SEO for their videos where they show people how to do YouTube SEO).

This is correct. This won’t happen right away (it takes time to have a good on-camera presence, etc) but it should be the goal. Don’t over-complicate creating videos. You don’t need 90 different drone shots, or 17 different effects. Simply create a video that delivers on the value proposition set in a simplified manner. Cut out dead space and gaps, clean up your audio, and become efficient with editing so you can create content on a consistent basis.

The best way (I think) to calculate this is to go off of a 10 cent CPV. If we do the math, we can see that 1000 views at a CPV of 10 cents will cost a maximum of $100.00. So, you should set aside $400.00. Again, you will most likely not need to spend the full $400.00, but it’s difficult to calculate exact CPV so that’s why it’s best to calculate the total cost using the maximum CPV.

I would recommend not spending money initially. I would recommend approaching things in a 100% organic fashion for the first few months of creating videos. Why? Because you don’t want to be spending money to advertise videos to people that aren’t proven. Over time, you will begin to create better videos, but learning how to create high-quality videos takes time. You will know that your videos are high-quality based off of the organic audience response in the form of average view duration/audience retention. When you consistently get a good response, then you can start to spend some money in confidence that your money will be well-spent.

6 Likes

Thanks for the replies again.

I already have VidIQ. Sounds like I could do the same thing there too, am I right? Or do you recommend TubeBuddy instead?

I saw a few people (who scored high on VidIQ’s SEO assesment) put more or less their entire video scripts into the description. Would you say that’s good practice?

I’m assuming that this sort of boost from Adwords should also attract more organic views since the video (presumably it’s good) should be getting more responses/activity from the Adwords traffic? Basically, those 1000 views from Adwords should attract a lot more organic views as well?

I personally use TubeBuddy but VidIQ will work fine as well. What’s important is finding keywords that aren’t too competitive. I wouldn’t be too concerned with search volume at this stage, as your goal is to build up a library of properly optimized, search-friendly videos, not get 100,000 views on every single video within 24 hours. In other words, if a keyword has an estimated search volume of 100 searches each month, many people would not even bother targeting this keyword. The thing is, as a small channel every view counts. This means that the 100 views, while being a small amount, are still of benefit to you.

More or less, yes. You want to have proper formatting and relevant information present, so anything that isn’t relevant that you mentioned in the video should be removed and not present in the video description.

The boost from AdWords will allow your promoted videos to gain views, watch time, etc. which will then give the algorithm a reason to promote your videos. So, you promote the videos to give them a boost, you stop promoting the videos, and then the videos will begin to gain organic views over time due to the video SEO work that was put in.

3 Likes

hey im on ig fully and m moving to ytb too , wanna automate it but saw that its impossible to know (who like,subscribe…) apart comments we can’t know like on ig , unless account is public wich is not the case for 80-90% of accounts there haha , so my question is that you never relied on scrapin users and do sme similar slave methods like on ig ?