Account active but “no user found” when forgot password

Hey all,

I changed phones, forgot my instagram password on new phone, so I went to request a new one and I get “no user found”. Tried to do it on PC browser and get “Sorry, we cant send you a link. Please contact instagram”.

The account is active. It isn’t deactivated either, I checked before using that other post, and instagram says its active.

It’s like the email and phone number on the account is just missing now. Its weird because I have not touched it and have logged in several times before using forgotten password button.

Also when I click “need more help?”, it just opens up like an FAQ of instagram login issues. Other people said it would open up account recovery but it doesnt for me and I’ve tried lots of friends phones, different browsers, many VPNs as well.

Can you still look up the IG account via https://www.instagram.com/usernamehere ?
If yes, it could be that the email and phone number was changed, that’s why it returns to you with no users found when you try to do a forgot password thing.

Hoping this section from the Help Centre can be useful https://www.facebook.com/help/instagram/358911864194456

You may also try putting it to rest first (with the login/reset password attempts) for about 24 - 48hrs and see how it goes after.

"Can you still look up the IG account via www.instagramcom/usernamehere ?*
If yes, it could be that the email and phone number was changed, that’s why it returns to you with no users found when you try to do a forgot password thing."

Yep, I can still open it up there and also on the app using another account. Yeah that’s what’s confusing to me though… I have not touched the phone and email. Also looking at my email account I used, I have no emails that mention me changing email accounts or phone numbers, etc.

“You may also try putting it to rest first (with the login/reset password attempts) for about 24 - 48hrs and see how it goes after.”

Yeah I will give this a shot. The only thing is though, is that even using any device, any account, VPN, browser, friends phone, friends overseas phones, etc, has brought the same result. When we click “need more help?” it just goes to a FAQ of instagram login issues. But I’m reading everywhere that it should take me to account recovery which is why that’s confusing me.

This is what I tried:

• Go to login and click forgot password
  • Add username in the field and click “need more help?”
  • Instagram then directs to an FAQ of login issues

Not every account has access to the IG support request form. Getting redirected to the FAQ page after you click on need more help? means your account doesn’t have access to it.

“Not every account has access to the IG support request form. Getting redirected to the FAQ page after you click on need more help? means your account doesn’t have access to it.”

I see. Who have access to it? My account is personal and also verified. I would think I should have access :frowning:

I’ve tried everything I can now to get it back. It’s like the account doesn’t have any number or email associated with it which is so strange…

There was a time that it used to be accessible on older android phone versions. If you can use the IG app from an older android version, you can see if it redirects you to the Request Form.

That’s interesting. I wonder if downloading an old version of instagram would trigger the request form.

Edit: I took out my android phone and downloaded old instagram apks from as far as 2015. Unfortunately, they’re all still forwarding to that instagram help page.

Edit 2: I also used old versions of the instagram website dating back to as far as 2016, 2017, even newer ones around early 2020. Still no luck. When requesting a password, it just gives me an error and tells me to contact Instagram.

One of my accounts has access to it. I don’t think it’s related to IG app version.

Get your android phone, then try with every IG account you have ever created or accessed with that phone. Even if an account doesn’t have verification issue, just enter its username, then click need more help?.

That’s interesting. I wasn’t able to find an account that opened up account recovery though from my end.

And actually I’m a little confused here… it turns out when I input ANY account which is verified into “forgot password” and click next, they all say “no user found@.

Do you guys get the same result?

Test it out, lets say you go to Login > Forgot Password > Enter username of someone verified > what does it say? Mine shows as “no user found” for everyone.

That’s what its showing for me. My account is verified.

But if I use it on any account which is not verified, it will send an email/SMS to them.

I didn’t quite get what you said, so is it disable or not? Because when I want to do the forgot password and put my disabled account it does say no user found

Not banned/deactivated. My account is still up and running, also used other tools to verify that it’s not banned.

The error however “no users found” is shown when using the instagram app. When you do it on a browser though, it says “Sorry, we cant send you a reset link…” etc etc.

This seems to be happening for all verified accounts. I checked with family in Australia, America, Asia, they all get the same error.

If the person is not verified, it’s reseting the password as per normal, but verified accounts will show as “no user found”. Try it out and add any famous celebrity who is verified, it’ll show the same results.

However yes, if you were banned it would show that same error most likely, or of course if the account doesnt exist it’ll show that as well.

Shadowbanned? dm me your @ to check it out

Just to update anyone in the future who needs help with this.

I haven’t got my account back yet but I will share some things that could probably help.

So since the accounts such as mine aren’t banned, we can’t use the typical form which instagram provides, because the accounts are still active.

I can never get a response from Instagram and so I’ve had to go to extreme measures.

1st option is to use a service who have access to a media portal to push the reset.

2nd option is to use police. Yes police… to write an official letter to them. I know it sounds insane, but as I said, I’m going to extreme measures.

We’re awaiting on results from today.

Ohhhh screw that! You are NOT sounding insane at all, I would do the police letter, but how? I’m in California and you ? Maybe class lawsuit ?? Small claims court ?

Direct letter from them. No court needed.

According to them, this is how they do it.

According to who?

Like you go to the police and have them redact a letter for instagram and you send it to them ?

I believe when police need to do investigations on accounts or something of the sort. Like actual criminal activity by users on instagram, or any social media. So they have their way of getting access to accounts.

Update:

The police got the account back for me. It was the only way for me to get in.

I tried EVERYTHING that could be tried.

1 Like

This is crazy! But good for you :+1: Did you happen to know someone in the police force or did you have to make up an… interesting stroy?

Yes I have contacts in the police force. Thankfully it was free as well.

I did find other contacts I had who had access to media portals as well. 1 friend could do it, free of charge, another contact I had who had access was charging roughly $2000.

Using media portal seems to be the only legitimate way (without using police) to get back into an account which have this error. If not that, then having a contact in instagram security team or something of the sort.

3 Likes