Big questions with running a SMMA

Hey guys,

Just wondering for those on you that run a SMMA of your own.

What is stopping a company just hiring a Facebook ads expert of their own? Like what actual value are you giving them apart from a smooth on board and managing process?

Also what if your ad campaigns just don’t work and you bring them barely any leads…

Cheers

Creativity, Black hat, better ratio Results/Expenses ?

Same reason they hire someone else to clean their windows, they dont want to do it themselves, and a professional window cleaner will probably do a better job.

It’s much cheaper to outsource. If you were to try and hire someone to run Facebook ads for you in-house, you’d have to pay them by-the-hour, whereas you can pay a freelancer or ad agency a % of ad spend or a fixed-fee.

Also, the value given to the company wouldn’t be a smooth on-boarding and management process, it would be a positive ROI on ad spend.

This is why you need to know what you’re doing before selling any services to clients. Once you have experience, you’ll be able to deliver some results (and you’ll also know what the client’s expectations should be based on their investment, etc).

Yeah I get that I mean what’s stopping the business owner just going on upwork and just hiring someone to do the ads off there.

Well if you outsource you don’t need to know exactly what your doing within ads just need to deceiver the service…

That problem is a bit in line with coaches and courses. Why does someone sell a course with the content “how to get rich”, if they could use it for their own gain? Most of the time the answer is because they are not competent enough to make it in the private field on themself, but have acquired some knowledge in the field that they want to salvage.

Most average agencies do not provide any value. They just make the customer think the marketing problem is being taken care of. For example, if a possible client wants to start working with you and they tell you “Hey, I want more followers” and you don’t ask them what they need those followers for, you probably not doing a good job for the client. Most of those people don’t know how to achieve the goals they set themself (if its an “influencer”) or are a local business company without a marketing department.

Early in my stage of Internet Marketing, I attended meetings with some big companies that hired our team for taking care of their web presence, which is still today an efficient way to get your foot into the door, but we were never able to get passed their existing marketing department efficiently. They made really bad choices both on the requirements they put on us and on any possible improvements we could have made.

So as an agency you will see a bit mix of everything out there until you decide what you want to do. Especially what you enjoy doing. Sitting in a room with 6 marketing department dummies and their post-it’s trying to fix their never-ending bad choices was not my pick. After that specific contract ended, I tried to only work with “companies” where I can have a private talk with the person in charge of the company if needed. Especially if their marketing department is making a fool of the company head (by going in a provable wrong direction).

To answer your question a bit more specific. Did you ever try to get your hand on an “expert” in the Internet Marketing field? I mean a real expert. Not that kind of coaching/consulting nonsense. People that push crazy ROI’s on ad budget are like a gold mine. Especially when it comes to eCommerce you can just pump all that ad budget right back into the ad account after the sales. So there is basically (assuming you have enough funding to fill the gaps of money being transferred from one payment processor to another) no limit of ad spend until you completely run out of demographics or accept a much lower ROI.

6 Likes

“They just make the customer think the marketing problem is being taken care of”

completely agree and its a problem. I’ve gone through a Iman gazhi course and he teaches a lot of cool stuff but I still have those questions in my mind.

“I tried to only work with “companies” where I can have a private talk with the person in charge of the company if needed.”

That is all I would be interested in, the former sounds dreadful. I would like to help out smaller businesses with a good product/service I believe in, to do better.

“To answer your question a bit more specific. Did you ever try to get your hand on an “expert” in the Internet Marketing field? I mean a real expert. Not that kind of coaching/consulting nonsense. People that push crazy ROI’s on ad budget are like a gold mine. Especially when it comes to eCommerce you can just pump all that ad budget right back into the ad account after the sales. So there is basically (assuming you have enough funding to fill the gaps of money being transferred from one payment processor to another) no limit of ad spend until you completely run out of demographics or accept a much lower ROI.”

Nope would love to cchat with someone like that or anyone with experience to see what its all about. People talk so mucch waffle in this space and its hard to decipher what is real value and not just some ploy

1 Like

That is sadly the current - or maybe always was - state of the Internet Marketing world.

1 Like

Even more sad is that it happens on a lot of other fields besides Internet Marketing. Talking is easy, doing is way harder.

2 Likes

Yeah i think its the current state of the world to be honest.

I’m a people person and love the psychology of sales but also interested in the whole marketing/facebook ads (kinda fell into it after designing and manufacturing a product of my own and growing a few viral instagram accounts).

I’m just researching if its a viable model to look into, but whats the point if you cant provide actual value to a client, it seems all these courses sell you the dream which solely relies on outsourcing and trusting a contractor and great sales chat. Back to the lab i guess :sunglasses:

Fully agree on that, doing your own due diligence is always the way to go, at least initially. Once the concept is working scaling works fine, but you need to put people in place that are not part of the team that wants to keep his job, this way you can ensure quality while ejecting yourself out of the loop. In most if not all projects I am involved in I do my weekly checkups and dig deep into the numbers to see if all is as it should be.

2 Likes

Agreed ty for your time henry

1 Like

I’d say the value is that…
Social Media Marketing is a collection of skills.
Strategy, Ad concept development, Design, Copy writing, Technical knowledge of each platform (best ad types, how to run/manage ads, etc.)
One person won’t have all these skills. An agency will ideally have multiple people to cover these skill areas.