Changing Target URLs in Repinned Images

I want to change the target URL in repinned images.

I noticed in MPs Advanced Settings for Pinterest, there is an option “Enable Campaign SourceURL to Assign URLS to Pinterest Posts”.

Does this not replace the target URL in a repin? Doesn’t seem to work for me.

I think Pinterest changed how that works a while ago, as far as I know only the original pinner can change the url, open to correction on that however, maybe @Adnan might be able to confirm?

Thanks Gar1od1

I know you cannot do it manually within the Pinterest UI after you repin. But both Social Multiplier and PinBlaster will replace the target URL during their repin operation so they have a work around.

I believe what they actually do is post the image as a new pin using the source URL. So it’s technically not a re-pin. But using the source URL for the original pin brings along all the rich pin data and citation to the original source, and still lets you set your own target URL for the image itself.

I do it all the time. The problem is Social Multipler is only available as a member to their forum which is terribly expensive, and PinBlaster only supports one Pinterest account.

MassPlanner is a much more complete tool, but it’s apparently missing this one critical feature.

2 Likes

Ah I see, just looked up social multiplier there, $3000!?? :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

Yeah, it’s a very cool tool. You can set it up once and forget it. It will locate the most popular pins for you based on keywords, repin them and replace them with random URLs from a list you provide. It’ll also follow and unfollow automatically.

It is no where near as powerful as MassPlanner, but that one particular feature sets it apart. You can access it by joining their forum, which costs $130/mo. Lots of good information in the forum (run by Jonathan Leger) but if you’ve been around awhile, you’ll only find a small portion of the content is new.

I just learned there is a work around in MP (per Adnan) for swapping out the pins. Just scrape the pins in a campaign using a keyword search, then add them to a list for posting. There is an option in the Advanced settings that lets you add your own URL.

It still requires you to do regular work, locating the pins and setting up the feeds. But given the cost difference of MP compared to Social Multiplier, it’s a reasonable alternative.

The campaign scrape will only get around 100 pins iirc, you can also use an external tool/plug in to scrap 100’s of images and use the monitor folder option in the what to post section of the campaign to do the same job but with a much bigger backlog

Yeah, I’m assuming I can just run the tool multiple times to build up a good list without running it daily.

I don’t want to just post the image, I want the original source URL too to provide the citation and pull in any rich pin data… particularly important for recipe pins.

I’ve got a couple 3rd party tools that will troll Pinterest for pins and create a CSV file that I can upload to MP. But all in all, it’s pretty cumbersome. The sole advantage of Social Multiplier is you can set it and forget it. It will run for weeks on a VPS unattended. …in that regard, I guess $130/mo isn’t so bad :wink:

1 Like

You run the risk of duplicate pins running it multiple times daily, change your filters keywords etc each time you run it. I’ve run into that problem with Instagram before.

So I’m fairly new to the Pinterest game, what are the benefits of using the source url for citation/rich pin snippets?

oh yeah, I’ve noticed that. Scraping pins with the same keywords brings up the same pins over and over. Definitely need to change up the keywords.

The strategy I’d use is to scrape 100 pins for each board/keyword set. For most accounts that’d give me 400-600 pins. Reposting on a schedule of 100/day, would give me 4-5 days before I have to go through the process again.

I’d do that for each account, which becomes a pain with 20 accounts.

…heh… that $130/mo for SP is not looking so bad as I do the math…

Sorry, I missed your last question.

I’m sure folks have different reasons. But for me, using the original source URL brings up the citation of the original owner and pulls along any rich pin data like product information or recipe ingredients. That A) makes pins on your board look more diverse and not just chocked full of your own pins, and B) somewhat deflects any potential complaints from the owner since you are giving them a citation.

But replacing the URL in the image to target your website, as well as using links in the description, of course is what drives traffic to you.

This is what a rich pin looks like for a recipe pin

This is what you get without a rich pin

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!