🔥 Crush it With Instagram Stories

Doesn’t matter. I tried both with my Xiaomi 5X and with a DSLR and a drone. It’s not a problem of the camera. It’s a problem or the compression used by Instagram when uploading using Android

Interesting…
Also I tested that (pool and so on) in the last week, and I increased views.
So, you are confirming my thoughts…

1 Like

Perfect! Perfect! Have you noticed a significant increase? How much in percent? :innocent:

Thanks a lot !

In my cases, 15%

That’s pretty great ! Could you try with a gif ? :slight_smile:

Today, I’ll start to test that. And I’ll share that in the next days…

What codec, bitrate and resolution are you using for e.g. the dslr videos?

It wouldn’t be the ER itself that effects the numbers, the engagement would determine who sees your story at the front of their feed in general. The same people who comment and like my posts, are the ones seeing my story. My story views are about 1/3 - 1/4th the amount of likes I get typically.

1 Like

I tried FullHD and 4K. Codec h.264 and export in 10bit. As I said is not an issue of the quality in the final video. Is Istagram crushing the quality when uploading from Android. Actually if you check online lots of other people have the same problem .

10 bit color? There’s no way Instagram doesn’t have to reprocess that…

1 Like

about 400 views more than average

I saw accounts with 12K getting 2100 story views while others only with ~10K+ followers only got 200 views…

Could it be that IG caps certain metrics to push others? For example:

If your posts go viral and you have good follower growth, IG caps your story views. If your story views are up will cap your follower growth or reach.

Have you noticed something like this? :slight_smile:

@RaphaelReborn what about you? Are the people viewing your story followers or people you reach through f/u?

1 Like

There are optimal story settings and codecs, 4k 10 bit 422 is not one of them. They compress heavily. Try 720p.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the test result! :slight_smile:

Taken from Snappa these are the best settings for feed video:

• H.264 Codec
  • AAC Audio
  • 3 500 kbps bitrate for video // no clue…
  • Frame rate of 30 fps (frames per second) // I uploaded 60 fps vids successfully before
  • Maximum file size of 15 mb // not true for IG TV
  • Maximum video width is 1080 px (pixels) wide

EDIT:

Video quality also depends on the speed and strength of your internet connection.

4 Likes

@MyFocus thanks. I’ll try them

1 Like

This was shot in 4k, 10 bit 422. Rendered in 1080p for Instagram, 20mbs bit rate. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8H9pxA_Vl/

I rarely see videos this high quality on instagram. Watch it on your phone btw, compressed video looks horrid on a computer lol.

1 Like

@Connor_Lipke Thanks but that’s not a story. I have a problem with the stories.
Anyway great content man.

1 Like

I feel like it has such great quality because there’s a lot of black/dark segments to the video that contain no information hence no data to be rendered? Instagram could be putting compression on the videos based on file size?

I haven’t tested it out and when it comes to videos in feed internet speed plays a huge role.

I should mention it’s shot on a GH5 at 1600 iso. It’s probably the worst low light video camera on the market. The lack of information is that + my color grade. I’ll test with daylight footage soon.