Gaining more followers can actually hurt your account if they are of low quality. A low quality follower does not engage with your post, which can lead to poor engagement on your account which will lead to reduced organic reach.
It’s important to consider the quality of the followers you are getting if you are looking to increase your organic reach so that growth on IG becomes a simple matter of posting quality content and IG will do the rest for you (work with the platform and it will reward you).
A strategy that I will be testing is the following. I want to see if I can build a follower base of as close to 100% of followers being Quality followers (i.e. they engage on almost every post). If you have a follower base such that every single one of them likes your post, it is my theory that this will massively help IG recognize your post as quality content which will lead to large organic reach.
What’s my strategy to find those followers?
- Find a source account that is similar to the content on the page you are trying to grow
- Scrape the likes and comments on something like the past 10-20 posts or so.
- Take each list of usernames that liked and commented from each post and combine them into a single table in Excel.
- Use Excel formulas to count how many times each user in the list engaged in the 10-20 posts you scraped.
- A “perfect score” quality follower would be one that liked and commented on all of the posts you scraped.
- Create a list of the high quality followers of the source account and these will become the accounts that you target as new followers for your own page.
If done successfully you could build an extremely engaged group of followers on your own instagram which will help the algorithm begin to work in your favor and get that organic reach.
This could be further enhanced by creating a Follower Quality Score that considers other variables like the number of followers the account has (for example, getting a like from 100k account is higher quality than one with only 50 followers).