Guerilla Local WiFi Marketing

Looking forward to your guide.

Very interesting & clever. I would love to read your guide on this. Hope you make it

This is brilliant. I’m in! What’s the budget to setup?

1 Like

i not sure about the author system but with a dongle/a local sim card… open it as a hotspot plusss some sort of battery bank. and a landing page that it opens to… can you imagine the possibilities at concerts or convention centers. like candy to babies

Depends on the type of hardware you buy. Anywhere from 50-100 dollars total.

1 Like

You technically could use a dongle, but since this is not actually creating a hotspot while in spam mode you couldn’t use it for that. You could obviously do this but with only one hotspot showing up for people.

1 Like

The thing is, this already exists without any tweaking, coding or linux knowledge required.

A WiFi Pineapple Nano is $99 and has everything included, software interface to do this exact thing, and there are a few plugins that do this exact broadcasting feature and lots more for pentesting/security research. You just need a usb battery pack to plug it into.

2 Likes

That’s hella expensive I can do it for sub 5$ per device (no actual Internet connection provided)

Otherwise could be around 30 or 40 for a normal Hotspot.

2 Likes

you are absolutely right… thanks for pointing the way

That’s interesting. I am looking for your detailed guide on it. :slight_smile:

do you have a guide for the affordable version? that would also be a very interesting guide

Of course, but the cost is in the convenience and easy interface they built, along with all the other tools, which for some people is the better decision. I mean it can be done with a Raspberry Pi or other similar boards too, just not plug-n-play like this thing is (for the most part).

2 Likes

The actual hardware I am using is less than $5. The expensive stuff in this setup are the batteries and the antenna.

1 Like

I’m guessing ESP8266?

I would love to see the guide for the setup! :slight_smile:

There is a little device you can buy i have seen, where you carry it or put it in a space crowded.

It will pop a “notification” up on everyones phone in the radius.

Kinda similar, cool nonetheless!

1 Like

Even though i’m not a hardware (or software guy) I am still interested in the guide :slight_smile:

1 Like

This reminds me of the golden bluetooth period where plenty such promotional emissions were used in local public spaces.

It actually worked and I would personally connect to them without questioning authenticity. I would however recommend that your offering or products are relevant to the space you’re in.

This way you’re least likely to encounter issues such as were mentioned by @ian

The main challenge will be to outperform the approved Wi-Fi connections in the given space.

Prioritising spaces where there are no existing networks could be beneficial.

This Guerilla marketing technique is really interesting. Looking forward for the guide.

What’s up with this? Was a guide ever created?