Instagram hiding likes soon?

what do you guys think of this ?
i dont really know if its true or not to be honest…

6 Likes

The reality would be that peps are even more involved, as anyone would always tap to see the number of likes, it’s a habit

3 Likes

Interesting. Gonna be some unique methods out there.

3 Likes

if they done this , then we will need to set our scrappers to follow the accounts first if we want to scrap users that engaged with usernames posts …

oh no…, we will never be able to do that

I don’t know if I see them doing this. People like numbers and seeing their posts get likes. Its like a drug or an addiction. If they got rid of that people couldnt show off how many likes they get.

7 Likes

If likes are currency that pay your virtual Instagram bills and you remove said currency, does the economy/platform collapse? This is definitely a question for Philosoraptor.

I’d say yes. Without seeing likes publicly, there’s no incentive for users to engage, or hell, even use the platform.

14 Likes

F**k you Shoresy!

2 Likes

This would cripple the hashtag system … And turn everything …
Is it good? Can’t tell but until they do it. If they do

1 Like

Don’t see this happening. It’s too much of an unnecessary gamble for the platform.

1 Like

Not really a gamble. That’s why they are testing it right now. I guess they will decide what to do according to the results of the tests. Also removing the order of the posts and implementing the algorithm was a fucked up move that started the demise of Instagram and pissed everybody off, and yet they did it anyway.

Likes are basically a dopamine hit by design. It’s what make IG so addictive to many. You remove the dopamine you remove the thing that makes it so addictive (hence why i refer to it as a gamble). So I don’t see it as an analogy to the feed chronology - which was more about showing relevant content than to keep you on the platform by design

9 Likes

Oh I definitely could see them do it to try to push companies to buy ads instead of working privately with influencers. So many influencers fake all their numbers anyway, and this would just add one more variable of possible deception. If instagram is just a glorified advertising platform, it’s in their best interest to try to funnel everyone into giving them money.

But also then would likes not showing up change how people give likes?

As a content creator, this would be so great and freeing because the social pressure to get enough likes is causing everyone to churn out the same trite crap over and over.

1 Like

I don’t see this happening. Likes have become such a vanity thing on Instagram that big brands paying big money advertising on ig would have a fit for the money they’ve already spent. Doubt ig implements it.

1 Like

Wasn’t removing the chronological order a gamble?

7 Likes

Lol… One feature I’d like to see though is the possibility of hiding my own likes from my friends. I don’t understand how that is not a privacy issue. I can see which pictures my followers liked and they can see mine. Ridiculous.

2 Likes

If they do remove the number of likes the only thing left to “show off” is the number of followers (unless they remove that number as well) but this may lead to people starting to buy again fake followers, wouldn’t it? I mean the number of followers would be the only “vanity metric” left. What do you guys think? I read some comments of people happy because this would mean that the platform would me more authentic since people won’t be after likes. I honestly don’t think so. People are people and if you remove likes they’ll go after something else and if the only thing left are followers they’ll do whatever they can to get more. If Instagram does remove also the number of followers, well I don’t really see the point of this social media anymore…

2 Likes

Yes, but a much smaller one than this. It’s relative.

1 Like

Interesting…

Humans are herd mentality creatures, if you remove the visible likes then human nature will simply be not to hit the like button. Nobody will have an incentive to like anything.

2 Likes

“We want your followers to focus on what you share, not how many likes your posts get. During this test, only the person who share a post will see the total number of likes it gets.” That’s how Instagram describes a seemingly small design change test with massive potential impact on users’ well-being.

Link to Techcrunch article

What ya think?

3 Likes