Instagram hiding likes soon?

2 Likes

they also show your content other people thats basically much more of a privacy issue :slight_smile: But due to their TOS they could even sell your content.

so much this and they are also a status symbol

Don’t see them actually doing this… People are so used and addicted to validation, as @RustyBread said, they need that nowadays…
Imho it would actually benefit people if they did it, so they don’t put all their self-worth into how much likes they get (I know girls like that lol) but it wouldn’t benefit us marketers at all, and again, people don’t want that anyway so…

The interesting thing here is why? As stated likes and the dopamine is a huge reason for why social media works, and IG knows this. So why would they consider making this change?

They’re well aware of what they would be giving up, so could there be something more behind it? Or are they simply doing this as a pr stunt for free publicity?

Just thought about it and the dopamine thing would not change at all because you still get the likes (maybe less). But it would take out the pressure of comparing you with others. and the main advantage for Instagram - SMM edit: like panels would become absolutely useless :slight_smile:

I can´t really imagine them doing this… It would affect the transparency too drastically.

I think it would be worse: more and more people buying fake followers since it would be the only measurable metric, at least until they will hide also that number.

2 Likes

Yeah thats what i thought about too but maybe they think they solved the fake follower issue already because it just destroys reach.

1 Like

Most probably. And from the standpoint of an influencer like myself, I can see so many influencers buying fake followers just to be noticed by brands. Honestly it looks like a step back to me.

1 Like

right now you can make it looking “more real” with like panels

What do you mean?

I meant right now can buy followers and likes and comments and everything. I see fullfake account networks trying to sell shoutouts and they simulate the shoutout engagement also with like pannels. I think thats really hard to identify for brands. Really hard to imagine how instagram would be without seeing likes.

1 Like

Got it. Yes my take is that they want to make it harder and harder for people to get anything done within the app without spending money on Ads

2 Likes

True,
They are slowly pulling away advertisers from Purchasing shutouts to purchasing ads directly from Facebook

that is why brands, at least big ones, are starting to look more and more at each account exactly, they analyze everythign before working together… And also I think more and more brands actually work together with actual people that can show they are real and have a real connection to their followers, not just with random big niche accounts…

2 Likes

yes but there are much more who just want to become “big ones”

True, but there is nothing wrong with that is there?
Sorry maybe I don’t quite understood what you meant with your response…

1 Like

Instagram seems to be testing further changes since a few weeks. The profile page on my iPhone looks different than before, the number of pictures someone has posted is missing and the number of followers is displayed much smaller than before and under the bio. So it is much less visible & less relevant than before.

sry was not meant as correction or so just an addition (even thought about writeing it in a more friendly way : )

Oh lol yeah, no prob, even if it is a correction lol, just didn’t quite understand what u meant haha