πŸ“— Recommend A Book πŸ“—

let%C3%B6lt%C3%A9s%20(1)

1 Like

SX330_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

1 Like

2 Likes

A Fraction of the Whole

Novel by Steve Toltz

I see 4 hour work week has been mentioned a lot here, but 4 hour chef (also by Tim Feriss) I found was great!

I learned how to cook amazing food, impress people and keep myself in great shape :slight_smile:

It’s more of a self improvement book than a cooking book - so as well as turning me into a great cook, I can apply the methods to other parts of my life as well!

Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss is such an underrated book. It tells you exactly step by step how to negotiate.

Totally agree. One of the best and non-bullshit business book I ever read.

Chris Voss was the lead negotiator at the FBI for two decades and will teach you so many concrete examples to apply in your daily life.

1 Like

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck
Counterintuitive this learn you how to prioritize the important things and to get rid of the bs

Thank you for this. It’s nice to know there are others thinking this way in the community.

If you’re going to read a Holy Bible, read the King James Version. It’s the most accurate English translation of the original scriptures. Would also recommend The Chronological Gospels, which perfectly chronologically orders the complete Gospels, Acts and Revelation.

1 Like

Bro straight FIREEEEE :fire:

Too many β€œthous” for me but some like it, I recommend ESV and for the super basic new believer just throw on audiobook of β€œthe message” translation so they get the jist of the gospel then dive deeper into the truth

1 Like

I personally find the old English quite poetic and stimulating… but I can understand what you mean. NKJV is a more accessible alternative. I’m a theologist so I need to know that I’m reading the closest possible translation of the Hebrew and Greek (1611 version is on my list to read soon).

What tends to happen when people read the NSV and ESV versions (newcomers in particular) is that they are more likely to view it all as a fairy tale (especially things like Exodus in the Good News Bible where it calls Moses’ staff a β€œstick” and adds all sorts of ridiculous information on the parting of the red sea). This literally happened to me for the first 24 years of my life after thousands of hours of service in school β€œreading” the NIV. I was thankfully pointed in the right direction at age 25 having been an agnostic my entire life, and started reading the Greek Septuagint and then the KJV. My mind was blown, it was nothing like what I was taught at school, and so much more rich and informative than the verses which are continually spewed out in churches over and over again without explanation or context.

More standard versions also blend footnotes INTO the text without warning which is a huge problem. For instance in Exodus in the Good News Bible again, it says β€œyou may not light a fire on the Sabbath”, which is ridiculous and comes from the Oral Torah which was invented by the Rabbis and isn’t the Word. Most people won’t know to cross check between Bibles either or do their own research etc.

I agree with you wholly that one needs to delve deeper after reading as well. There is an abundance of information available today and anyone can learn the truth about our existence if they just go searching for it. The Bible is the starting point, and the end point, but can’t be understood fully as an independent collection with one read through.

2 Likes

Great points! Everybody learns differently on their path!

For me, I believe that if God wills it you will receive revelation through any of the translations since he said in Matthew 24:35 β€œHeaven and Earth will pass away but my words will never pass away”

1 Like

Amen, brother!

1 Like

1 Like