The real reason why Instagram doesn't like botting

As you know Instagram is putting a lot of efforts into blocking or at least reducing a lot the actions performed by bots. By what’s the real reason? To put it simply it’s a financial reason. Now this might not be something new but there is a bit more to say about it now. Instagram will become like Facebook in terms of Ads.
In the next few months we will see a lot more Ads and botting can negatively affects advertisers. How so?

Check this out: Go to your Settings->Security->Access Data->Ads Interests

There you’ll find a list of topics that supposedly you are interested in. They WILL be used when an advertiser will buy an AD on Instagram. There is an obvious problem here. I checked my Interests and they are ridiculous, at least most of them. For example I have flower bouquet, Jewelry and some other things totally unrelated to my niche: Travel. Why are things so messed up? Because by doing f/u you end up interacting with people who have interested totally different from yours. While this is not a big problem for me as an average user it is a big problem for me if I become an Advertiser (and I do buy Ads from time to time). My ads will be shown to people who don’t really care and I’ll be wasting my money. Instagram doesn’t give a shit about the user experience UNLESS it can hurt their pockets. So I believe that as the months go by and Instagram will slowly become Instabook we will face more and more challenges regarding botting and the real reason are Ads.

18 Likes

Very interesting, thank you for sharing. Yes, mine are all random and all over the place too.

3 Likes

Mine is super random too. Another reason they dont like botting is if someone is using our services it’s less likely they will buy IG promo adds to “grow” and Instagram is loosing that sweet ad revenue. No wonder they are trying to get rid of us :frowning:

4 Likes

I agree and there are definitely many reasons but I do believe that if investors find out that the most important thing for targeting users with Ads is NOT working if you use bots, and a whole lot of people use them, well that’s something very bad for the company.

2 Likes

I checked mine and mine are super random. But the weird thing is all the ads I’m fed in my feed / stories none of them reflect what I’m seeing here. The ads I actually see are pretty spot on to what I’d be buying.

4 Likes

The platform must be experiencing historical lows in engagement. Since they are essentially breaking the habit of us kids playing on their platform. after all this is the way to break a habit , go cold turkey by force. some will migrate to other things, netflix, sports or another platform. This strategy seems like an error is the advertisers have less people playing and wowing themselves with followers and likes.

2 Likes

Bots effectively can obliterate the cost of targeted, paid digital ads and the level of spam hurts the user experience overall.

I have a feeling things are about to swing in our favor however. Pay attention to the feds vs fb

4 Likes

Yes the engagement has never been this low. And to think that once it was the main reason why everyone loved Instagram.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. You can’t target jack on FB anymore when it comes to ads. Interested to see how much worse it’s going to get with all the privacy issues.

2 Likes

Ads is very useful when you work with funnel marketing and very targeted audience, maybe geotagged per interest.

But run ads with an account of 500 followers looks very low key professional …

1 Like

That’s true. Besides this there isn’t really a way to have a “follow my profile” call to action button when you sponsor a post via Facebook Ads Manager which doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

Right .

There’s a too big business around automation.

1 Like

To be honest, proper targetting is done through pixel and consumer behaviour inside the platform anyway. Those interests mean nothing for marketers who actually spend the big bucks that ig cares about.

3 Likes

I also do not know if this is true.
My explore page is freaking accurate. Could not fit my niche better to be honest.

And the “Ads interests” shows “no ads interest available for your profile” (I translated this form my language). So that could just be buggy.

What about your explore page?
If explore is fine, they know where your profile belongs to.

1 Like

It’s not always possible to use the Facebook pixel honestly

Explore page and Ads interests are different things

It first I was like:

“Not again…”

Then I was like:

“Hmm seems interesting…”

And at last I was like:

"Daaaaamn, something new! @mithrandir is the best :muscle: "

1 Like

Ah ah. Thanks man.
@MyFocus

1 Like

Yeah, what you said are make sense.
Because when we used botting they cant target us with specific niche.
They really want to boost the ads.

1 Like

I suspect then whatever algorithm IG is using, it has to do more with what accounts/hashtags you interact with

1 Like