There is still slavery in the US!

This is an Upwork advertisement.

Yes boys and girls! You want to earn 6$ (yes! 6!!!) an hour as a freelancer??? Before taxes ofcourse!

You only have to post 3 times a day on 7 platforms!!!

The ad:

Hello,

We are an IT company that works in several Electronics & IT related fields. We are seeking to hire a person or a dedicated contact at an agency to manage our social media. We need someone who handle it all.

The accounts to be managed include:

- Facebook
- Snapchat
- Instagram
- Twitter
- Pinterest
- Google+
- LinkedIn
- Tumblr
- FourSquare
- Some may be added later as needed.

We have a hootsuite subscription that can be utilized by you if needed.

The following needs to be managed:

• Grow our Network and Followers
  • Engage Customers
  • Hold Pre-planned Contest & Giveaways
  • Curate Relevant & Realtime Content (Not stale or several days old articles)
  • Build relationships with Brand Ambassadors
  • Inject post that get followers to interact and share
  • Build KPI Reports to demonstrate effectiveness of campaigns
  • Monitor and Communicate about Trends
  • Moderate comments
  • Plan 30-60 days of scheduled content at a time
  • Content must be drafted and pre-approved prior to being published as scheduled
  • Majority of content must include custom photos/videos appropriately tagged.

Posting is required 3 times daily mixed between various types of post, 7 days a week.

The rate in your bid needs to be hourly, cost is a very important factor here. If it cost nearly the same as hiring in-house staff at minimum wage ($6/hr US) then we will just do that. So be mindful of that scenario.

2 Likes

Take it or leave it. It is not your business btw. If someone demands the job it is because that guy has not the enough knowledge to deploy other well payed jobs. So… I don’t know, in spain there are jobs that you work 10 hours for less than 5 a hour easily. Ask waiters, room service and so on, and they have to do physical work nothing to compare to work in front of a computer at home.

This is the problem with a lot of businesses. I’ve seen many jobs where they expect a full social media manager, but pay intern wages.

1 Like

There is a small difference between a cleaning job and the job above. I think it will be hard to find people with knowledge about all social networks they mention. It requires the creating of content, including video content, building of relationships, need knowledge about analytics tools etc. If you read carefully they ask a LOT.

I don’t believe that they will be able to find someone to do this at minimum wage. $ 6 an hour, that is less than $1000 a month ? It is not even enough to pay the rent and buy food. Even an unemployment benefit is higher in Holland.

For $5 an hour you can better have a job cleaning hotel rooms than the above job. Physical work, no stress, almost no responsibilities. At the end of the day you are really free. The job above is never finished, especially not if you work at home.

3 Likes

Well, thats not true. I live in Fuerteventura and our main economy is tourism. The cleaning hotel service is sooooooooo stressing. They have to do more than 21 rooms in a day for less than 1200 eur a month, and thats quite easy or non stressful. Waiters and room service are in the same spot.

I have been in Spain often, I never saw stress with Spanish people. Waiters spend most time hanging around doing nothing. It can be a bit busy a couple of hours in the evening but that is all.

Spain is the country of siesta and mañana. Never do something today if you can do it mañana :joy:

3 Likes

Lol in tier 3 country its more worse.
150$-200$/month in my city and people work like 8 hours/day with 4 day - 6 day holiday (only for rough worker)
And that job was fking shit, them think human like robot lol 7 platform and gonna more.
Post 3/day , fking report , make content lol
But if take 10 hours the worker gonna get 60$/day .its still good in my country.with 1800$/mo you can live very nicely even buy a car( car = success)

2 Likes

Take the job for $6/hour. Work there for 2-4 weeks. Make your own website, spend all the money you make on advertising, and charge more for your services. Where people always go wrong is settling and not re-investing into their business.

I could do that job in one hour. It’s an IT company so your content is gonna be shitty no matter what you do. Just schedule a bunch of shitty content. Then turn off your email for 23 hours of the day.

That was posted from a company based in the US, or hiring people and paying in $USD?

I can’t imagine anybody living here accepting that. In another country where cost of living is cheap, sure, but not in the US. Having been struggling for so long, even I wouldn’t accept that. Hell, I was contracting for this data company and they were paying $11/hour for basic Google searching, and that was underpaid.

1 Like

It must be GetRiver’s post looking for new hires!

2 Likes

Company in us!

So 6 an hour. At the end, taxes etc, you will have 4 an hour?

Its not about the 6 all. Also what they expect. They think guys working for that amount knows anything about kpi :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty much, if you’re lucky. You can make more cleaning toilets or hotel rooms like above. With zero brain use, you can be drunk and high and basically sleepwalk through your job to make more money, and probably get paid overtime.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the outrage is about.

In the USA, Canada, most of Europe and parts of Asia, $6 / hr would be below minimum wage so it makes no sense to take such a job, at least not for the financial pay-off.

On the flip side, this is pretty mindless work from home that might be suitable for someone at the min wage level who is impaired, disabled, has kids / elderly to take care of, lives in a rural area or just wants to have a part-time job. Plus, most of this income is undeclared and hence not taxable. Not to mention that with Upwork and any other oursourcing site, you can be doing 2 if not more of these jobs, AT THE SAME TIME

For the rest of the world, $6 / hr can be significant. There are plenty of VAs that work for half of that and are happy with it. Upwork themselves allow for $3 / hr wages.

I think “slavery” is very far fetched. A company trying to outsource work “overseas”, as the term is in the US, is nothing new, bad, immoral or illegal. They have stated their requests pretty nicely (which is rare for a company on Upwork) and are upfront about why they are outsourcing the work.

And because a US company is posting this, in no way does it reflect the situation in the whole country (as much as I would hate defending The USA). It is like me saying that The Netherlands are a Narco-Democracy because my next-door Dutch neighbor is high as a kite most of the time and proud of the fact it is legal in his homeland.

Plus, unlike cleaning toilets or some of the other stuff mentioned here, you can actually learn something of value doing social media, or at least put it on your resume and apply for similar jobs (and they are plenty) that might pay higher.

3 Likes

Minimun wage in Spain is 680eur ~ so… if you work 6x8x21 = 1028, 20% after taxes = 800 eur. It would be a normal job in Spain but it may be a bad income in USA or other tier 1 countries :stuck_out_tongue:

Official minimum wage in that case is still slavery. You shouldn’t make it an acceptable standard because the government considers it to be ok.

Compared to Holland Spain is a bit cheaper, with some things. But food in the supermarket is as expensive. E 800 a month is not enough to pay rent, food etc and to live a normal life.

1 Like

So with that salary you can find me people that know about kpi’s?

1 Like

Had a girlfriend in Spain for a while, and at that time I even considered moving. I remembered looking for jobs there. They sometimes offer E 1200 for jobs with University education. I was a bit in shock, also because in Barcelona prices of everything are pretty high. I didn’t even want to spend time to find out if that E 1200 was before or after paying tax.

1 Like

Someone that earns 1200 net a month has probably a salary of 1700 eur ~ because of social security tax

I don’t know if that E 1200 was before or after paying tax. But even if taxes are already paid you will not be able to live a normal life with E 1200 in Barcelona. I remember that rent was already about a thousand a month. Get a coffee every day at Starbucks and a sandwich for lunch and you will not even be able to pay for dinner.

This topic is a bit off topic. Let’s blame @dma0245

1 Like