Using your home IP as a residential proxy with a Raspbery

Is it ok for me to chat with you about this?

I recently built/installed/configured my own “home brew” residential proxy server on one of the many “boat anchors” and spare components, bits and pieces lying around the house. It’s been running for 48 hours and I’m pleasantly surprised and happy with most of the results.

I am a retired I/T Pro over 25+ years exp. working with IBM, MS, AT&T, BoA, PB, etc… I am the first to admit I that I don’t know everything about I/T but I can definitely tell the difference between BS and the real deal. @dimitri You are the real deal.

I used to build UNIX/Linux Boxes i.e. Squadron and Eclipse Main-frames at IBM’s Poughkeepsie, NY Campus, so I have a hazy memory of Linux and the various tools and applications we used. A lot of what you’re doing reminds me of certain aspects of my former job.

I have my own retirement practice/business that I’m growing and it has NOTHING to do with I/T and is NO threat to you or anyone else on this forum.

I have no intention or interest in stealing anyone’s business or threatening anyone. I just want to grow my business in peace and occasionally ask for help.

Whenever I ask my former work-mates and colleagues for help and advice on a particular project the help and advice is given freely with professional respect, cordiality, politeness, without judgement, sarcasm, rudeness, insults or personal “ad hominem” attacks.

If the help that I’m asking for needs to be paid for and the terms are reasonable and I’m not being conned or screwed, I’m always happy to pay for the real deal.

Wishing you all the best with your project.

Thanks,
TG

So when you bump a thread that isnt be active for a year, you posting the same stuff over and over, i say someting about that, you feel harassed and bullied by a local troll like me?

1 Like

@dma0245:
Any professional knows that public displays of bad behavior and mistreatment of prospects, potential, and paying customers not only KILLS that prospect or customer FOR LIFE, but also KILLS everybody that prospect knows and everybody who “saw” you ABUSE and MISTREAT that prospect or customer AND everybody they know.

That can’t be good for business.

Your funeral.

With all due respect, you indeed are being quite repetitive @tgparker2010.

I won’t comment on the venting above but I would advise to consider a different approach for getting assistance. Bumping threads from a year ago, spamming threads with the same thing over and over again, etc. will really only get you the attitude you are currently receiving.

Peace!

3 Likes

@thanoslabz @dma0245
I am on this thread discussing building/installing/ residential proxies. I just built/installed mine yesterday, and I am complimenting the one person @dimitri who seems to know what he is talking about.
I am very happy to discuss building/Installing/configuring residential proxies with @dimitri or anyone else who is either actually building/installing/configuring residential proxies or who is sincerely interested in same.
Have you actually built your own “home brew” residential proxy yet? How did you do it? What components and devices did you use? What apps and software did you use? Did you experience any challenges? Did anyone here on this forum or elsewhere help you? Have you anything constructive to contribute to the topic of building and installing residential proxies?

Blessings,

Hello ian,

So technically it would be possible to create more than 1 proxy on the same raspberry pi? Or do I need a unique raspberry pi per proxy?

1 Like

Good question! @Justin_Busch! I’ve been told EVERYTHING from 1-500 proxies per server and I am just as confused about how many accounts per proxy. I’ve even been told “5 each of everything” per proxy. At the moment I’m running no more than an overall total of 5 accounts of either Twitter and/or IG per proxy. I am being very careful. I don’t want to find out the hard way.

“Local troll” here. Those are two completely separate questions that are unrelated. You are confusing the Pi proxy with a Pi proxy server.

The issue is not how many proxies can it run or accounts that can be run on it, it’s about how many IPs you can obtain. The Pi here is basically being used as a router that you use to connect from your server to your high trust score home IP.

Most people have 1 home IP. You can sometimes purchase more from your ISP, but the potential to get your block flagged is high (they would all be on the same pre fix/block most likely).

The Pi in this configuration is made for one IP. It can run a few. I’m pretty sure you don’t want to make a Pi into a proxy server that runs a few thousand proxies. Dimitri notes that it’s limited by the SD card as a weak spot. Anything more and making a dedicated mini server to run the Pi proxies would be a better idea.

Think of how your server handle individual proxies for your accounts and you have a better idea of what a proxy server is. It’s just the connector or bridge to the IPs (Pi proxy).

THEN you have the question of “how many accounts per IP”. All of which is well documented.

There are far too many variables to say 100% what will work for anyone. A good rule of thumb is to have a 1:1 or 1:3 ratio per IP.

Can you have 5 per IP? Sure. But the more accounts per IP/ proxy, the fewer actions those accounts should do. You could put 500 per IP if you wanted if they each only liked 1 photo per day, but that’s fairly risky in terms of footprint, getting your accounts/IP flagged etc.

So stick to less than 5 per residential proxy/IP to be safe or unless you’ve done a ton of testing.

EDIT: Maybe this is more confusing, but here goes anyhow.

Most of us run our software off a server in the “cloud” somewhere. That server uses a bad IP. Some people run it locally on their PC so that means they are running their accounts off their home IP which is highly trusted.

So why do you need a Pi proxy? You might not need one. If you run a few accounts from home where the software is installed, you don’t need one. You are wasting time and money unless you need a new proxy (to run more accounts).

If you have a server with hundreds of accounts, your going to need more proxies and again, you are going to be limited to the number of IP’s you can use unless you convince people to allow them to be installed at their house etc.

2 Likes

@wortime TY for your comments.

But your comments beg the following questions:

Have you actually built your own “home brew” residential proxy yet? How long has it been running? How many residential proxies have you actually been running? How did you do it? What components and devices did you use? What apps and software did you use? Did you experience any challenges? Did anyone here on this forum or elsewhere help you?

Blessings,

1 Like

Yes, a long time ago and before blocks were a thing.

I no longer have them, I could not get my customers to adopt them. Bad marketing? Too cheap? Too expensive? It just never worked out. But they ran for a long time (6+ months). I sold them to people who wanted them and deleted the image (still kicking myself over that). 1 was at a neighbors house and he moved and took it with him. I assume it’s still in a box somewhere because it was configured to send me an email when it changed IP’s.

Google and trial and error. Found a book on Amazon that ran it down. Tried the same tutorial and it didn’t work this time. The issue is updating and the OS.

I used what @dimitri used.

No apps, just the same things listed in this guide. No need for more apps.

See above about obtaining IP’s and getting people to adopt them.

No.

2 Likes

@wortime Excellent answers. TY. I followed more or less the same path except that I used one of my old “boat anchors” and spare components that I have lying around because I didn’t have the luxury of time to go shopping at 6:00am. I have no desire to sell anything to anyone on this forum. I am only here to learn and possibly buy products and services. My goal is to have a safe secure system that will allow me to grow my marketing funnel.

1 Like

Then I would look into finding cheap unlimited data plans for a phone, which you can basically turn into a mobile proxy. Those IP’s can run more accounts, and are safer. Theory is the same.

Unless you want to become a WISP, then that would be the best way to obtain enough IP’s.

2 Likes

@wortime By the time I have finished building my marketing pyramid/funnel I should have 10 accounts each of FB, IG, TW, LI, YT, G+, PI. so probably 70-90 accounts tops but no more than 100 accounts (famous last words) and I’m hoping that works out to 20-30 residential proxies. My concern is reliability, security and safety. I’m looking at my present “home brew” boat anchor proxy server as an interim, to be upgraded as time and money allow.

Blessings,

So where are you going to get 20-30 new IP’s is the question. You can make 2k proxies and they all use the same IP (that would make it pointless), or you can make them all use different IP’s (the point of a proxy in the first place).

Regardless of your setup, you still need IP’s. You can make IPV6 IP’s from the 1 or 2 you have at home, but it would not be easy or fun. Not even a little bit. Making IPV6 IP’s from a home IP is one of the things that “if you have to ask, then you shouldn’t bother” deals.

(and no, do not send me a DM asking how, it’s all possible and not recommended since they would be using the same pre fix/block)

1 Like

I think there is a miscommunication. I definitely don’t need 20-30 proxy servers. LOL Maybe we’re speaking apples to oranges. I need to get ready for the morning sessions with my clients.

1 Like

It’s not from my end. As I said above, you are confusing a Pi PROXY with a PROXY SERVER

The issue again is not about how many Pi’s or proxy servers etc that you have, it’s about how many IP’s you have.

1 Like

Sorry I’m with my 9:00 gotta go…

My Raspberry is used as a proxy for my home IP. And I use it as a proxy server for a couple of 3G USB modems. But it is like wortime said… It is limited by the number op IP’s you got from your internet provider, limited by the number of 3G USB modems etc. And at some point it is also limited by the CPU of the Raspberry.

The Raspberry is cheap. But a couple of weeks ago I also bought a nice second hand desktop for about $100. And that desktop CPU is probably 100 times more powerfull then the Raspberry.

5 Likes

I run everything with intel nucs. Low power usage, silent and enough power for me. Add some SSD and enough memory and it runs very great. And even run ESXi on it.

3 Likes

@dimitri Where did you find that dataplan? Curious for that one for some experiements. Never mind i found it. 14KB/s is not that much but doable. I think if you use agressiving caching on your proxy it can be more then enough. Lets go to the shop and start playing…

1 Like