How to gain 700k followers in a day (!) & then lose 200k within 5 months 😏

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTrvqeaFkR6/?taken-by=sunnycoclothing

1 Like

Keeping the transaction fees? Is that even legal?

2 Likes

Keeping the transaction fees would still be several thousand bucks.

1 Like

No it’s not. :sunny:

3 Likes

Lets say they have an average “transaction fee” of 1.2%, which is super low. Times that by the number of transactions plus the average cost you are looking at so much money…

1 Like

This just gets juicier and juicier…

5 Likes

it apparently is @ian

And it would be a “small” profit if they get to keep it @wortime

However, I am sure they will found liable for something or the other in the eyes of a well trained lawyer.

All I see coming out of this is more restriction on Social Media Promotions…down the line of course…Yeah…and a bunch of swimsuits as well.

Also… those signatures look like they belong to 2 five-year-olds…js

1 Like

Ok, lets say…

They only sold the 50,000 for advertised price. They have a really good payment processor.

So lets say, that the average price sold was in the median, so they sold all 50k at $13, plus they “sold” another 300k at full price.

I am not going to do the math, as I have had a few, but I can tell you that even .2 percent at 50k is $1k. So it is no “small amount”.

This will all come out in the press soon.

EDIT: Notice they do not mention the payment processor or fee. They are keeping whatever they want. Skimming a percentage is easy.

1 Like

I would even argue that it would be more than that.

I think they are referring to those who “bought” the swimsuit without using the promo code. The price of the swimsuit w/o the promo is $64… So… the transaction fee would be based on that I suppose.

Even at %0.75 Transaction fee of full price units and assuming they sold 150k units at full price that’s still $72,000

And you’re right… they probably won’t get the keep the whole thing…banks always have to have a bite…big or small.

I’d go as far as saying they would probably pocketed $50,000 for a day’s work…which is not too bad.

The sun will shine soon…

1 Like

Inb4 their engagement goes to shit and end up with unfollowers or ghost followers

2 Likes

Made the social blade news.

The article title. “Swimsuit company makes small fortune from free giveaway” lol.

Slight troll there

Article breaks down the financials.

2 Likes

I don’t involve in illegal activities, but if people are this careless to throw around their money (only $13 but still), image the results if the company had a more anonymous setup and had just taken the cash and vanished from the map.

However it could be that now that this got so much media attention, it won’t be as usable to run the same trick. Atleast not within the next few months.

It’s no trick, it’s IG marketing 101. Aside from the “Free+shipping” Method, which also an old marketing trick, it’s one of the oldest ways to gain followers and make sales on IG.

1 Like

Call it a spade or shovel, it still got alot of media attention. Will be interesting to see if it will produce any effect. Could just as well entice more people into falling for these setups as everyone wants a piece of the free cake.

1. Find something cheap on Aliexpress
  2. Start a contest & “give away” that product
  3. Charge enough “shipping” to cover the cost of the product + line your pocket
  4. Profit
3 Likes

They built up those accounts for months, they had a solid following, their own Engagement groups to create social proof in the comments “I love my new bathing suit, thanks guys!” type of comments.

Who knows how many feeder accounts they had as well. They targeted correctly though, hot girls in swimsuits, had enough chicks actually following the account to pull it off.

It just goes to show you never know what will go viral. All it took was a few people to do it and bam, it took off.

4 Likes

can we use this for content lockers, for coupons?

As I told, Instagram deleted their account…

why it was deleted spamming?

They could have changed the name or taken it down themselves. They did not necessarily get banned.

1 Like