[Journey] Making an Instagram page go viral - LIVE case study

This journey is an odd one for me. I’ve grown pages before, and at one point in 2019, my personal Instagram network exceeded 350,000 followers, before I cut it down to just over 100,000 followers, to focus more on my agency.

When you start an agency and that’s your focus 24/7, and you own big pages at the same time, you sort of lose the motivation to post and actively take a role in growing them. It feels more like work, and you want to reserve that for your clients, so this journey for me will be a little weird, but I hope that it will greatly benefit the people who see it.

Now, unlike every other journey, I am going to be 100% transparent with you. I am in fact going to share the username of the account that we will be growing. This has the potential to be sabotaged but I will put it out there anyway, as it can only do more good than bad. I want to make this both informative, and take an input from the community, so please leave questions or even suggestions.

The account is in the football/soccer niche. The username is @thefootballminute

As it stands the account has 1,564 followers, and 64 posts.

It has been posting since the beginning of 2019 on and off, but things started to take off in November of 2019 when this was posted:

As you can see, it gained the account 56 followers, and racked in over 48,000 views, a semi viral post.

20,000+ impressions from hashtags, and 2,000+ from explore

So what did I do to get here?
First its important to note that Instagram analyses your account and can take a year, or more, to decide that your most engaging content is even worthy of the explore page, but you can bypass this by working on your hashtag strategy. If you go viral on a set of hashtags, Instagram will trigger your post onto the explore page, and once you’ve got that the growth is upwards from there. What I did was find an account with 10,000 followers in the football niche, and I saw they were getting 50,000+ views per post. I then copied all the hashtag sets they were using. You can find these pages on the explore page if you look hard enough, and then replicate their results by using the same hashtags they’re using, the same captions, and the same content!

So how has the growth been?

The account had been pretty much static (no follower gain) from the beginning of 2019 to November 2019, as other than posting, nothing had been done. In November, I started actively taking a role in this accounts growth. It slowly rose, and then at the start of February it just went click.

Here are some insights from posts made at the start of February:

In March, I lost focus and left it to go a bit stale, but anyhow a post made on the 2nd of April still yielded over 20,000 views, 2,982 likes, and reached over 35,000 people.

This is where we are at now, thank you for reading this far, you are all caught up!

I will be posting once per day on the account and updating you here weekly on what I’ve done, the growth, and any significant events.

Thanks,
Laurence

#inforthegiveaway

13 Likes

Great post hopefully it’ll give me some inspiration to work on ig more

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll be keeping this updated every week so keep a look out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

nice journey topic, good luck with it, looking forward to seeing how it will turn out :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, no promises but hopefully we can get it to 10K relatively quickly (next 1-2 months) :wink:

1 Like

Haha, cheers to that!

1 Like

Nice info, and I like the transparency and data!

Re: This photo. Did you do anything differently around the end of January/start of February that really triggers that growth? Or was it the same sort of thing that suddenly got kicked in the backside by IG?

1 Like

Good question. That was where Instagram decided the account was ‘explore worthy’ and even though the hashtag reach per post maintained around 20,000, with each post the ‘explore’ impressions kept on going up and up, and explore reach brings a lot more followers than hashtag reach in my experience .

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing! one question if I may, I see that you have focused on posting strategy and hashtags, did you use any other methods to grow the account I mean other than posting?

1 Like

The page was grown to the 500 followers it had with a loop giveaway at the start of 2019 which I ran. Other than that, no, nothing else has been done to it since the start of 2019 for growth.

1 Like

Awesome post. Thank you

1 Like

Thanks for the reply - it’s really interesting. I’m impressed that your page only had between 500 and 1500 followers - it certainly makes me reassess how powerful hashtags are.

Did you have to use the same hashtags all the time, or cycle through a few different sets?

1 Like

You can check the page for yourself! But I’m doing a bit of both, as I mainly just copy the posts (captions, hashtags, content) from another repost page which I mentioned earlier, who are small but regularly going viral.

1 Like

When you start an agency and that’s your focus 24/7, and you own big pages at the same time, you sort of lose the motivation to post and actively take a role in growing them. It feels more like work, and you want to reserve that for your clients, so this journey for me will be a little weird, but I hope that it will greatly benefit the people who see it.

FACTSSSSSSSSSSSS

3 Likes

Another question, on a repost page do you just download from a relevant acc and re-upload? do you know if you have to change anything due to instagram algorithm knowing that its not original?

thanks

1 Like

Download and re-upload. From my own experience, changing around all the info of downloaded Instagram videos/pictures doesn’t make a difference in reach/virality, or at least it’s not something that anyone can confirm, as there’s so much other data that goes into determining the reach of an Instagram post.

2 Likes

Perfect, just wanted to check I was on the right track, thanks again!

1 Like

WEEK 1 UPDATE

Follower gain: +103

When you have a look at the graph, it looks pretty exponential. The growth as far has been slow on a numbers base, but the daily growth is increasing day by day. You can check out some of the posts on @thefootballminute and see how they’re performing.

The best performing post this week was made on the 2nd of April, and attained 3,184 likes.

P.S. also purchased Canva premium for a bit so I can get some clear stats for you to see clearly, I saw that the graphics in the first post I made were a tad blurry

4 Likes

Looking good. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Great stuff :+1: :+1:

1 Like